Great book for beginning brewers.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coonmanx

Reaction score
Brewing Quality Beers by Byron Burch.

I have been brewing for 30 years or so now so I am no beginner but I started with this book and I still reference it from time to time. Especially good for a simple system on calculating IBU's.

It's a fun read, but outdated by now.
John Palmer's "how to brew" is better and up to date.
Both good books. I don't really find the information to be out of date since it is basic and good information and that never goes out of date. Also it can be found for only a few bucks on Ebay.

I wanted to add that a local library may be a good resource as well. I believe I actually got Palmer's book from the library among other books that I found there.

A lot of libraries allow patrons to request materials that aren't in the collection. My library has a form I fill out. They buy the book and add it to circulating materials.

Someone learned of my recent homebrew endeavors and got me the Denver Beer : A History of Mile High Brewing, I've read a chapter or so. That'll be my next read but I'm currently reading Yeast, from The Brewing Elements Series found on homebrewing.org and such. I think that series will be invaluable as they cover in depth the "elements" of brewing which I find most intriguing.

I must say my 5th and most recent extract batch is absolutely killer, an American Pale Ale that I got a free kit for and utilized my stir plate for the first time to create a starter. I got the OG and FG essentially to the thousandth... or whatever it might be called in a gravity reading.

Last edited:
I actually did that with "Brew Like A Monk". Great book.

Libraries are great brewing resources. We have four county wide system here so we get materials from any of the member libraries. It opens up a huge trove of information.

I used the be on the Board Of Trustees so I'm a constant advocate for local libraries.

Back