Gray Soot in post boil wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmonte

Hoppy
Reaction score
SO I brewed up a Maris Otter, Citra Smash brew yesterday using US 5 yeast. When I transferred the cool wort to carboy it looked much darker with greyish/ black soot floating in it. I also used a SS scruby as filter in pot for the first time. It's fermenting but the krausen is the same grey color, infected, or metal leaching from scubby or pot???

photo_1.jpg

photo.jpg

So I look this morning and color is getting a little better. I did use my new 30 plate chiller for the first time, could it be cold break that makes it that gross gray color and not infected :confused:???

i doubt youd' see any sort of an infection that fast... also, infections don't normally turn things grey.
Did you clean the plate chiller out before you used it? does the wort taste fine?

It is not like, you to be metal. Metals don't really leach and change the color of liquids, any flakes would not float. My guess is either the yeast or a protein is a bit of a weird color. I'd let it go and taste before botteling, if it tastes bad (keep in mind u carbonated beer tastes a bit different) dump it.

Thanks for the replies. I did clean the chiller before I used it. The wort seems to taste OK, kind of reminds me of New Castle taste. It was looking better today and will check again when I get home. Just never seen such a strange color. Thanks for all your help!

Did you use a new aluminum pot without creating the passivation layer first? I know when I boiled water in mine the first time the water looked like it had greyish/black soot in it.

So I check the carboy today and it is looking much better. The gray color went away or the "cold break"?? that got in the carboy has dropped. I ran oxy and rinsed with water on my whole system just to be safe. Going to pull a sample this weekend, will let you know how it is.

photo 1.JPG

That pretty much looks like a lot of hot/cold break to me. As long as there's no weird off flavors then I wouldn't worry too much. Did you use a bunch of hops? That can sometimes change the color.

Just wanted to update everyone, I pulled a sample and taste great! Color is where it should be! I will need to come up with a better way to filter out the cold break coming out of the plate chiller. I think Hopper you where correct about that. Thanks for everyones help and advice !!

Latest posts

Back