gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsgrinder

Reaction score
Ok I know what gravity is. It's the testing for it that I'm confused on. I always get a low reading and I fallowed the receipes just right I think, well they tasted good. I've just never known what my ABV% has been. Well I've been brewing for a couple years now but still don't know how to read the meter or get a correct abv, a couple people have tried to explain but just confused me even more so... Please help... Anyone...

Here is an illustration that helped me. As for the ABV calculations, I always use a calculator like Rooftop Brew » ABV and Gravity Calculator.

Hydrometer.jpg

I am assuming you have a triplescale hydrometer!

I do not have my hydro in front of me so I do not know the temp adjustment range but I think if you put the hydro in water that is ~66° then the scale you want to read should be at 1.000. If the temp is higher or lower than you would add or subtract according to the scale, ie 62°-64° subtract .001 from your reading 72°-74° then add .001 to your reading. So a wort at 66° reads 1.010 if the temp were changed to 72° you would add .001 so the reading would be 1.011 and if the temp were changed to 64° then the reading would be 1.009!

Not sure if this makes any sense!

Good luck!

Good pictorial. You basically take the gravity of water @ 60F,1.000. Then look at the longer lines of the scale,noting 10,20,30,40,etc. Between those are shorter lines denoting 2,4,6,8. So if you're reading was at the 2nd line below "10",the reading would then be "1.014".

Back