Gravity Sample =/

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer4U

Reaction score
This is a very newbish question, but I figure it's no big deal. I think fermentation is about done. It's been a week and I would like to take a gravity sample, but I'm not quite sure the best way to get the sample out of the glass carboy without adding too much oxygen. Thanks guys!

Don't worry about oxygen... your fermenter has a nice layer of carbon dioxide resting over the beer.

Sanitized turkey baster or wine thief work very well. You will not hurt your beer opening your primary or taking a sample.

If you feel a great need to shake the heck out of your fermenter, walk away quickly. ;)

Haha, thanks for putting me at ease, and talking me down from shaking the living sh*t outa the fermenter :ban:

Just as a little sidenote, I shot the gravity sample and it tasted nothing short of amazing. I love my life. :tank:

Not with a carboy you can't.

If I'm pulling a sample from a bucket, I usually just sanitize my hydro cylinder and use that.

You can also use an auto siphon if you don't have a thief/baster handy.

+1... just take the racking cane part out of it, sanitize the larger outer tube, put it into the carboy and give it a few up and down shakes and it'll fill up with beer.

Latest posts

Back