Gravity Readings, first batch... is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_sanch

Reaction score
I'll apologize in advance for my paranoia but this is my first 5 Gallon batch and have been taking every step in the process very seriously to ensure my Wheat Beer is a success...

The OG reading before I pitched was on Saturday night (06/02) was 1.054.
Today's reading (06/06) was 1.015.

The 1.015 seems like it would be a good FG and would usually indicate fermentation has been completed however I still see visible signs of fermentation going on (or at least they look like signs to me):

Montral-20120606-00068.jpg

Montral-20120606-00069.jpg

I'm planning on checking again tomorrow or in a couple days, but does this seem like a typical change in gravity readings after just 4 days?

I think that is pretty normal. It is likely to drop a little more. Just leave it alone for a couple weeks. I am not sure but it appears you did not take a sample to check the SG, but just put the hydrometer into the bucket. I would recommend taking a sample with a sterilized Turkey baster, and then discard the sample (after tasting of course).

Thanks for the reply man... I sterilized the equipment I used to take a sample (used plastic tube that I dropped the hydrometer in after taking my sample). The picture was taken after I discarded the sample... You say another 2 weeks though? That seems kinda long to be fermenting...I was hoping to rack into a secondary in a few days and bottle next weekend maybe

There are lots of opinions here on how long to leave in the primary. The general consensus is around three weeks. Secondary is optional. I have moved to a four week primary and no secondary. However there is no "right" way. You will need to see what works for you. There is a wealth of information on this forum, and it takes awhile to assimilate. Good luck!

I wouldn't bother with a secondary. I would leave it alone for 2 more weeks. It will finish fermenting in the next day or 2...but the extra time will allow the yeast to clean up after themselves and improve the flavor. Bottling next weekend (for 2 weeks total) wouldn't be bad if you just can't stand the wait! It is a wheat beer, they're meant to be drunk young anyway.

After bottling leave them at about 70 degrees for at least 2 weeks. Then put one in the fridge for 24 hours or longer and try one. If it is not properly carbonated wait another week and try again.

I agree with leaving the beer alone for another 2-3 weeks, forget the secondary and then bottle.

Back