gravity questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beezee619

Reaction score
My og was 1.063 then i let the sample sit over night and took another reading it was 1.086 is that a true reading and y did it change?

Did you check the temperature? gravity is dependent upon it, and your hydrometer is calibrated to be accurate at a certain temp, that could be the culprit.

If you used a refractometer your reading wouldn't have been in the format you used. Refractometers read out in degrees Plato, not specific gravity.

What do you mean that the sample was left overnight? That you left the refractometer with the wort on it overnight or that you pulled a larger sample and left that overnight?

I put some wort in a cup and it sat over night so i decided to test it again b4 dumping it out, it was not left on the refractometer i had a 1/4 cup of it set aside.

I put some wort in a cup and it sat over night so i decided to test it again b4 dumping it out, it was not left on the refractometer i had a 1/4 cup of it set aside.

Perhaps there was some stratification due to the wort sitting without yeast to churn it up, and you dipped out a more concentrated sample...

beezee619 said:

Not sure what would cause this then. Was the refractometer clean from the night before? If there was dried wort on it from the night before, it would cause the second reading to be higher. Other than that i've got nothing.

It was the same sample that i got 1.062 from it was just about 20 hours later

Latest posts

Back