gravity question - coopers kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buhay

Reaction score
I know I've read in this forum somewhere that coopers kits can often finish out at 1.020 but I can't find it.

Anyways I brewed a coopers english bitter kit 12 days ago. Just did it with 750 grams of dextrose. OG of 1.038 and kept it at a controlled temperature of 70F. 5 gallons.

I took a reading at 8 days and it was at 1.016 and checked it also today on day 12 and it's the same. My question is should I just leave it be and bottled in a couple days or should I try and gently stir the yeast up? Or maybe that will do nothing? It does taste pretty good from the sample I took but it's just a lot lower of an ABV then I was expecting.

IMO if it's been that long with no change I don't believe trying to rouse the yeast will do anything except make you wait for it to drop out again.

It's probably done. Was the recipe's OG 1.038 or is that what you read?

Whatever the OG of the recipe stated is what it should be, you got a bad reading from a poor mix of top off water and wort.

RDWHAHB! Package it !

IMO if it's been that long with no change I don't believe trying to rouse the yeast will do anything except make you wait for it to drop out again.

Thanks! Will bottle it when I have on the weekend. Cheers

It's probably done. Was the recipe's OG 1.038 or is that what you read?

Whatever the OG of the recipe stated is what it should be, you got a bad reading from a poor mix of top off water and wort.

RDWHAHB! Package it !

It was my reading. Should I even ask what that last part means? Lol cheers

It was my reading. Should I even ask what that last part means? Lol cheers
RelaxDontWorryHaveAHomeBrew!

Umm, why would you want to stir up the yeast? 1.016 steady for a few days is a perfectly respectable final gravity.

Back