Grassy taste in homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpellit1

Reaction score
I read from some people you can get grassy flavors from hops after extended periods, with some people saying to keep it to a few days.

Some have said that their beer has been successful with like a week of dry hopping.

I just brewed a beer where I only did a single dry hop, and it was for 3 days total. It tastes like asparagus, basically.

Why? Does this have to do with temperature hops were added? I know pellets can be harsher, but I’m sure thousands have dry hopped with pellet hops with fine results.

Maybe some hop residue is staying in the beer after I remove it, and it is resulting in basically getting bottle fermenting time turning into hop contact? I’m out of ideas.

You say grassy flavor but your allusion to asparagus makes me think of hydrogen sulfide type taste/smell. You boil with the lid off don't you?

The times I dry hopped, I was still a week or more out bottling. But have no idea if that impacts on the grassy flavor or not.

Last edited:
How fresh were your hops? Age and storage conditions can significantly degrade the flavor and aroma. Hops which are, say, a year or more out from packaging, or haven’t been kept tightly sealed and frozen, will often develop flavors which are more vegetal than “hoppy”.

How fresh were your hops? Age and storage conditions can significantly degrade the flavor and aroma. Hops which are, say, a year or more out from packaging, or haven’t been kept tightly sealed and frozen, will often develop flavors which are more vegetal than “hoppy”.

I forget off the top of my head which crop it was from Yakima Valley Hops (probably 2020), but at any rate, they were sealed when I got them. When dry hops were added, they had only been open the 2 weeks since the boil.

Some hops have "grassy" in the description of their tasting/aroma notes. So that might be another thing to check.

Sealed means vacuum sealed? Unless you say otherwise I'm also assuming pelletized hops. If it's loose, dry or fresh, that might be important for some to know. Though I think fresh, sealed and 2020 might be a duh. :)

Pelletized, vacuum sealed. This last batch I used Nelson Sauvin and Cashmere. Those two usually don’t have grassy as a descriptor.

Latest posts

Back