Grapefruit Zest in IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kye77

Reaction score
Im about to dry hop my 2.5 gallon IPA in a few days. When i was picking up some hops, I saw grapefruit zest hanging out in the fridge at the local shop. I love grapefruit IPA's so i thought i would give it a shot and dry hop with it.
How much zest should i use for it to kick through my IPA? The original gravity is 1.060 if that helps figure it out.

As far as sanitation goes, I'm thinking about putting it in a hop sock and letting it sit in 160 degree water for a few minutes. Is that enough heat to kill any bacteria?

Thanks guys! :mug:

With citrus, I've read that you get better flavor out of it with a short boil. Maybe simmer it for 5-10 minutes on the stove, then cool and pitch? I wouldn't give it much more than an ounce, ounce-and-a-half.

I don't have a great answer, but I suggest trying a grapefruit zest tea first to get a feeling for what it will add to the beer.

I have had great luck by soaking the zest in just enough vodka to completely cover it. Let that sit around for a few days and then just dump it all in the batch of beer. The vodka will sanitize it all, and it also helps to draw out a lot of the grapefruit flavor.

i just did brewed an ipa that i "dry-zested" with 3 oz...personally i dind't think it was enough and would probably do an oz/gal next time.

I have had great luck by soaking the zest in just enough vodka to completely cover it. Let that sit around for a few days and then just dump it all in the batch of beer. The vodka will sanitize it all, and it also helps to draw out a lot of the grapefruit flavor.

This is what I do and it works great. I also just go buy two grapefruits and after washing them without soap in hot water use a cheese grater and get my own natural zest. It makes a huge floral impact on an IPA and I am actually just now off to my LHBS to get ingredients for my next one.

Thanks guys! Everyone seems to be on board about sanitizing it with vodka so ill give it a shot! I only have an oz. of zest i got from the store. I might mix it with some fresh zest and see where that takes me. Unless you guys think its a bad idea mixing two different types of zests.

Thanks guys! Everyone seems to be on board about sanitizing it with vodka so ill give it a shot! I only have an oz. of zest i got from the store. I might mix it with some fresh zest and see where that takes me. Unless you guys think its a bad idea mixing two different types of zests.
Mixing's not problematic, but I just noticed you're working with a 2.5 gallon batch, not 5 gallon. 1oz is probably as much as you need. It might even be more than you need.

Im about to dry hop my 2.5 gallon IPA in a few days. When i was picking up some hops, I saw grapefruit zest hanging out in the fridge at the local shop. I love grapefruit IPA's so i thought i would give it a shot and dry hop with it.

How much zest should i use for it to kick through my IPA? The original gravity is 1.060 if that helps figure it out.

As far as sanitation goes, I'm thinking about putting it in a hop sock and letting it sit in 160 degree water for a few minutes. Is that enough heat to kill any bacteria?

Thanks guys! :mug:

I routinely brew a Grapefruit Wheat IPA. At packaging (kegging for me) I take the zest from one grapefruit and make a tea by boiling 2 cups of water, add the zest, let it steep until cool. I add this tea to six gal of beer.

Back