Grand Cru

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sieglere

Reaction score
So I'm brewing a grand cru tonight and the recipe calls for 1 oz of coriander to steep. Should I crush it in my mortar and pestle before tossing it in or should I steep it uncracked?

I'd say it depends on how much you like coriander. It will definitely take a front row seat in the flavor profile if you crack it or stay in the back if you leave it alone.

You need to crack it. I've not used it in a long time, but 1 oz seems like a lot.

The recipe called for that much (and I love coriander). I ended up cracking it. I'm moving it to the secondary today so stay tuned for details

Tasted it yesterday: fantastic. Other than the rocket fuel burn of the fresh 9% alcohol (which will mellow) it was good. They honey, the ginger, and the coriander all played along nicely sending me into a happy place.
Side note: anyone know hoe to say rocket fuel in French?

So I added some hops to the secondary yesterday. A nice citrus smell, you get the coriander, it doesn't burn in your chest anymore. I'm super excited. I think I'm going to name it Carburant poor fusè (its French for rocket fuel and my accents/spelling are probably off). Can't wait for this to carb up. I'm sure it'll also age really well too!

It was at my friend's house. It was in the reigon of 70 to 75. Near the range of the yeast I used

Oh ok as long as the yeast is up to it, I thought the heat might be from fusil alcohols caused by high ferment temp. Ask me how I know about these :)

Sure will. My theory is that it had its harshness from the freshness of it. The second wiff I got when I added the hops a few days ago was not nearly as fuel-like. I think it'll age out. I'm bottling this weekend, it'll carb for a week and then I'll have a review (and maybe a recipe too) to share.

So, went home to visit family and they had a large request for my next brew to be the BJ's 2014 Grand Cru. Does anyone have this recipe or somewhere to start? Any advice/lessons learned working with this beer? I am still brewing partial mash... Any assistance would be awesome!

Back