Grains in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooserider2

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a long time lurker but I finally have a question that I could absolutely not find any information anywhere. I'm hoping I can get some tips if anybody has tried it, or a discussion if nobody has.

I want to rack my beer (really a Baltic porter graf/cider) with specialty grains. My thoughts are that racking with dark grains (chocolate, crystal 120 or black malt) will bring in more of the character of the Baltic porter that I was hoping for. I was also thinking this could be an interesting technique to apply to my regular brews to add new flavors.

Anyone have ideas on:
1) how we can keep this sanitary
2) how much grain I should add
3) other considerations I may not be thinking about

I don't believe that you can keep it sanitary by simply adding grains. You would basically be infecting your beer with whatever is on the grain at that point.

You could do some sort of small the police specialty grain beer and blend it.

Specifically for chocolate character and some roasting it see you could add some roasted cacao nibs. Maybe a few coffee beans.

Outside of blending another beer in that's the only way to do that.

Blending isn't a bad idea. I have a gallon of just the porter that would be great. But I can't shake the idea that this could be possible.

If sanitation is the issue do you believe I could sanitize the grain by boiling it or soaking it in a spirit? Soaking it in an apple brandy might taste pretty good.

Back