Grainfather s40 to 3 prong dryer outlet.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A single wire ground return system is possible. I don't know why anyone would ever do that; I doubt that it's legal.

LOL, maybe it would put a hop in people's step! and only the unfit for recycling electrons get dumped to ground normally?

edit: and i hope this thread has helped someone else get interested in the flow of stuff, like it has me..... :mug:

What do you mean by "single wire ground return system?"

Brew on :mug:

Just a hot wire. No neutral. You drive a grounding electrode into the earth and use that to complete the circuit. I'm not sure "single wire ground return" is the right terminology; it's a bastard wiring system and I doubt that it's safe. But it would work, at least for low-current circuits.

Just a hot wire. No neutral. You drive a grounding electrode into the earth and use that to complete the circuit. I'm not sure "single wire ground return" is the right terminology; it's a bastard wiring system and I doubt that it's safe. But it would work, at least for low-current circuits.
The ground return would probably have an unacceptably high voltage drop, thus degrading system performance.

My understanding is that the grounding stake in a normal system doesn't carry significant current. It just provides a level reference for the system. Is this correct?

The ground return would probably have an unacceptably high voltage drop, thus degrading system performance.

My understanding is that the grounding stake in a normal system doesn't carry significant current. It just provides a level reference for the system. Is this correct?

It should never carry any current. It *can* carry some current if there's a failure. That's about the extent of my knowledge. I'm not sure if it's primary purpose is a reference voltage (0V) or for safety; it provides both.

@bracconiere The dryer cord and plug and the GF cord and plug carry the same voltage. They differ in that the dryer is designed to carry more "current" (or amps or watts or what ever you want to call it) than the GF. That is the reason for the different cord/plug configuration.

220v "only" devices require two separate 120v legs in residential service and can operate without any more wires, just the two legs, although not considered safe. (no grounding) A "neutral" is not needed or used in such a circuit.

In the dryer seniaro, it needs a "neutral" (or a "ground/neutral") for the 120v circuit in the dryer. In a lot of dryers, that includes the drum motor, timer motor, lights etc.

In a 120v circuit there is just one "power" leg and a neutral. Again a ground is not "needed" for operation but employed for safety.

All that said, I am not bringing up any "best practices or code requirements". Those are many and they can vary per situation and local.

Cheers to all, :mug: it's time to start having Birthday libations:bigmug: and my focus will be of Blue Moon clone nirvana. :cask:
Joel B.

220v "only" devices require two separate 120v legs in residential service and can operate without any more wires, just the two legs, although not considered safe. (no grounding) A "neutral" is not needed or used in such a circuit.

so 220v is 100% effecient, and there's no 'used' electrons to dispose of to keep the 'wheels turning'?

and here ya go for your clone!

so 220v is 100% effecient, and there's no 'used' electrons to dispose of to keep the 'wheels turning'?

and here ya go for your clone!

short answer: it's because the two, 180 degrees out of phase, feed wires essentially take turns being the return wire every time the phase switches. 240V is the difference between them, and so when leg 1 is at +120V the other leg is at -120V and power is flowing from leg 1 to leg 2, but half a cycle later they are swapped and the power is flowing in the opposite direction, with leg1 acting as the return.

https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/33602/why-do-240v-circuits-not-require-neutral

short answer: it's because the two, 180 degrees out of phase, feed wires essentially take turns being the return wire every time the phase switches. 240V is the difference between them, and so when leg 1 is at +120V the other leg is at -120V and power is flowing from leg 1 to leg 2, but half a cycle later they are swapped and the power is flowing in the opposite direction, with leg1 acting as the return.

https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/33602/why-do-240v-circuits-not-require-neutral

i'll revisit and read the link, but now i'm thinking, i'm thinking in DC not AC terms? so this is AC so alternating for better distance, not DC for better efficiency?

and once again have to apolagize for making this MY education....in case i ever get the urge to use a 220v dryer plug instead of my NG stove.....

Back