"Grain vs. Extract" Batch Prices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mulhaircorey

Reaction score
Hey all- Just was wondering what most people pay on average for their 5 gallon batches, Extract, Partial, and All Grain.

I suppose I also should say that I'm not talking about bulk priced grain. For instance, if you wanted to sell a 5 gallon brew kit (ingredients only) what would be the average cost be for:

1. Extract Based
2. All Grain Based

Thanks in advance

The easiest and most accurate way to get an answer is to check the big online retailers:

Northern Brewer
Austin Homebrew Supply
etc.

for an IPA I just made. it was $20 for grains only. Or $32 for the extract only. The hops cost the same and everything else is the same so I left it out.

It varies a LOT based on what I'm brewing.

my cheapest extract batch to date is a hefe: $28-30

cheapest AG to date is a stout: $19

My most expensive brew (a Belgian Abbey Ale) topped $65.

An AG hefe could probably be dirt cheap, too, depending on what I use for yeast.

In general, it seems like AG saves 15-25% vs extract.

If you buy bulk grains you will kill extract. I pay .89lbs for pale 2-row. LME is 2.49 and DME is 3.99 per lbs. Its easy to see that the biggest cost savings in INGREDIENTS is buying in bulk. Of course with grain you encounter other equipment cost.

Yes, I think AG is definately worth it. Figure $30 a batch extract or more. I think I can brew most of my AG batches for under $20 a batch.....Have not calculated recently though....

If you reuse your yeast it will save about $6 a batch. Right now I have a hefe, American ale, Belgian strain that I harvested from alagash black, champagne for hard cider, kolsch and Irish ale.

I buy hops, grain, star san and pbw in bulk. Yeast if free from a couple of local brewpubs. Average cost right now is about $8 per lb of hops, $21 per 50lb sack of 2-row, 1 gallon of star san is $32.50, and a 50 lb pail of pbw is $125. A 10 gallon batch costs around $12 for me to make. The best thing you can do is find a group grain buy and invest in all grain equipment. I think the cheapest extract kit I ever bought was $21 without yeast.

I did an extract and all grain version of the same IPA. Same hops same everything. The all grain version was almost $20 less.

Hey all- Just was wondering what most people pay on average for their 5 gallon batches, Extract, Partial, and All Grain.

I suppose I also should say that I'm not talking about bulk priced grain. For instance, if you wanted to sell a 5 gallon brew kit (ingredients only) what would be the average cost be for:

1. Extract Based
2. All Grain Based

Thanks in advance

you have to figure about 30% cheaper for all grain. so say 25 for an all grain +/- 5 dollars depending on dry/liquid yeast. And, 35 for extract, again varies for yeast. but, the bulk for individual orders on all grain might contribute to much higher freight charges compared to extract in its compact bucket.

atgunning said:
I buy hops, grain, star san and pbw in bulk. Yeast if free from a couple of local brewpubs. Average cost right now is about $8 per lb of hops, $21 per 50lb sack of 2-row, 1 gallon of star san is $32.50, and a 50 lb pail of pbw is $125. A 10 gallon batch costs around $12 for me to make. The best thing you can do is find a group grain buy and invest in all grain equipment. I think the cheapest extract kit I ever bought was $21 without yeast.

Where are you getting 2 row that cheap?

I don't find that much of a price savings after moving to all grain from extract. Maybe if you buy bulk grain and have a crusher you'd see more. One thing to factor in is that you use a lot more propane with all grain (heating up mash and sparge water.)

However all grain is more fun, makes you feel like more of a brewer and less of a kit instruction follower, also the product seems to be a bit better.

Cheers!

Those are damn near cost... ie what the LHBS pays. Congrats if you have the relationships that allow you to do that.

Just plugged this into hopville and cross referenced with AHS prices

10# American 2-row = $14 -- OG 1.056 / FG 1.014
7# 12oz Pale Extract = $23.17 -- OG 1.056 / FG 1.014

So 39.58% cheaper to achieve the same gravities. You can get this even higher with bulk grain buys, etc.

You can't really pin down average recipe prices since IPA's will clearly be more expensive than a blonde due to the hop bill. But your price difference will be greatest where the grain bill is the highest expense.

Those are damn near cost... ie what the LHBS pays. Congrats if you have the relationships that allow you to do that.

They usually do bulk grain deals. I got my last bag for $38 + tax and the mill if for me each time I bring it in to get specialty grains & yeast.

I just ordered DME from DMEmart.com... free priority mail shipping and no sales tax. You must buy minimum of 12# @ $45. I ordered 12# of light, Amber, Wheat and Dark DME for a total of $183. Cost is $3.81 a pound dropped off at your front door. Gas to one of my local brewshops is at least $10-$15 so I have to figure that in the cost also. I wash my yeast and hops are the same either way. When I do partial grain... the bill usually averages about the same since I'm not ready to buy grain in bulk yet.

Getting ready to bottle and start another brew this weekend... total cost for 7# mixed DME, 3oz of assorted hops, yeast, brown sugar, priming sugar, sanitizing solution and bottle caps will be $31-$33 for 5.5 gallons.

I really am getting my money's worth from that vial of WLP001 California Ale yeast since I started washing... but soon I'll need to expand my yeasts.

They usually do bulk grain deals. I got my last bag for $38 + tax and the mill if for me each time I bring it in to get specialty grains & yeast.

he said he gets 2 row for 21.00 a bag... that's nearly half your price. i get it for 29.00 a bag and i live less than 10 miles for GWM. the prices he was quoting was beyond cheap...

As someone else has said, make sure to figure in the extra heating (propane) costs of all-grain. This could put you over the edge. What does it take? A 1/4 tank of propane for one batch of all grain? Propane is $20 for 20 lbs I think?

I get about 4 ag 5 gallon batches out of a tank(full 20 lbs not the blue rhino 15 lb bs). I'd say that 40 percent is used in mashing and sparging. At $18.00 a tank that's $4.50 per batch. Figure a $1.80 in additional propane costs. Considering I'm getting 50 lb bags of two row for $39.00 I'd say I'm still way ahead as far costs go.

We are lucky enough to have relationships that allow us to do that with a couple of different grain suppliers. About 50 people order grain 3 times a year so we get the 12,000 lb prices which is the cheapest.

On the flip side, we don't have jack **** for a LHBS.

he said he gets 2 row for 21.00 a bag... that's nearly half your price. i get it for 29.00 a bag and i live less than 10 miles for GWM. the prices he was quoting was beyond cheap...

The last time I got 2-row that cheap was a few months ago from Rahr. I didnt order 2-row on our last group buy, but the price was about $25 a sack for the guys that did. Also, I noticed the prices increased from last year for Franco Belges, Thomas Fawcett, Bairds, etc.

The last time I got 2-row that cheap was a few months ago from Rahr. I didnt order 2-row on our last group buy, but the price was about $25 a sack for the guys that did. Also, I noticed the prices increased from last year for Franco Belges, Thomas Fawcett, Bairds, etc.

In chatting with my friends at the LHBS it sounds like prices are back up after being way down over the last few years. Bulk rates anyway... There seems to be a lot of mark up if buying retail/small quantities. That is pretty resourceful though buying many pallets at a time.

While still pretty new to the game, I don't mind the extra cost for extract. Why? time. I don't really have an entire day to brew, I have a couple hours.

While there are economies to be found in bulk purchases and the AG method, it just depends on what you're looking for.

I think most of us brew our own beer because we want quality and we want to have a hand in the process. If it were just a matter of cheap, there's always that section in the beer case.

While still pretty new to the game, I don't mind the extra cost for extract. Why? time. I don't really have an entire day to brew, I have a couple hours.

While there are economies to be found in bulk purchases and the AG method, it just depends on what you're looking for.

I think most of us brew our own beer because we want quality and we want to have a hand in the process. If it were just a matter of cheap, there's always that section in the beer case.

I'd be willing to bet my all grain brew day is less than 30 min longer than yours. It's your choice to brew extract and that is great. But, please don't think that brewing has to take all day. I am usually done within around 3 hours... I agree fully about your quality part.

I'd be willing to bet my all grain brew day is less than 30 min longer than yours. It's your choice to brew extract and that is great. But, please don't think that brewing has to take all day. I am usually done within around 3 hours... I agree fully about your quality part.

Holy crap ... 3 hours? Hour mash, hour boil ... How many elves are helping you with your set-up, sanitizing, sparge, cleanup, put-away etc.? My AG batches are clocking in at 6+ hours start to finish. Congrats! :D

fletchsj said:

I'd love to hear more about this!! :)

I do all grain BIAB (mash tun + HLT setup) batches all the time. I can mash, boil, clean-up, chill wort, & pitch yeast easily within 4 hours.

I do all grain BIAB (mash tun + HLT setup) batches all the time. I can mash, boil, clean-up, chill wort, & pitch yeast easily within 4 hours.

Yeah, same here. I usually mill the grain the day before, but 10 gal BIAB (no sparge) usually has me done right around 4. That is with a 60 min mash and boil. I frequently go longer on both of those so it can vary.

OK so here is my process...

Heat water in HLT takes about 15-20 depending how cold it is out side. (5ish gal)
mash in... Mash for 20 min then start recirc for 10 min. (for those of you naysayers ask for conversion reports from your LHBS' most maltsters get conversion within 5-10 min. I do 30 min cause I don't have a lab setting to do it in. But, an hour is a waste of time in my opinion.)
while that is going on I heat my second 5 gal in HLT
after the 10 min recirc I drain into my boil kettle and add the flame...
at the same time I add the other 5 gal and stir and recirc for 5-15 min depending on how many beers I've had at this point... then drain to the kettle witch has nearly come to a boil (or has accidently come to a boil due to me being tipsy)
have my roughly 8 gal of wort in kettle and bring to a boil (doesn't take too long 10 min max) due to heating the first runnings...
boil 60 min. cool direct from kettle to fermenter via plate chiller (use plate chiller water to add to my HLT and heat during 10 min it takes to chill to 72-75 deg (can take 15 min and chill to 65 or so but I like to pitch hot during this time of year.
Take my heated water and run it through my equipment to rinse out everything and clean as usual. I don't scrub and disassemble my whole stand and valves etc anymore every time, maybe once every couple months, but everything is going to be boiled anyway. takes probably 30 min to clean if I'm thorough.

Wahlaa! Go have another home brew... that is just under 3 hours if my math is right...

Latest posts

Back