Grain to water or water to grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobstar

Reaction score
I'm about to do my first all-grain batch this weekend and I'd like to know.. do brewers add the grain to the hot water or do they add the water to the grain in the Mash tun?

Please expand a little on your answers.

Thank you.

I add grain to the water, because in my cooler MLT setup I add water hotter than my strike temp and let it warm up the MLT first so as to more accurately hit my mash temps.

chicken or the egg. i get my water to the right temp and add the grain, or add the grain and add water of the right temp

I add my strike water first, since I use it to preheat my cooler MLT. I add 175 degree water, and let it drop to the desired strike temp (usually in the mid 160's).

I found another benefit- it seems like you get a lot less doughballs by adding water first, and then adding the grain slowly while stirring thoroughly. When I added the grain first (following the advice in Palmer's book), I got major doughballs.

(Geez, that sounds dirty. sorry about that:D)

I add my strike water first, since I use it to preheat my cooler MLT. I add 175 degree water, and let it drop to the desired strike temp (usually in the mid 160's).

I found another benefit- it seems like you get a lot less doughballs by adding water first, and then adding the grain slowly while stirring thoroughly. When I added the grain first (following the advice in Palmer's book), I got major doughballs.

(Geez, that sounds dirty. sorry about that:D)

+1 to this. Doughing in by adding water to grain is messy and forms a lot of doughballs. I did that with my first grain batch. I changed to the adding grain to water method and never went back

+1 to adding the grain to the water to avoid doughballs.

(All this talk about doughballs reminds me of an ACDC song.)

I've done my only two AG batches with grain first. about 8lbs total grist each, and a pretty thin 1.5qt/lb mash thickness. Still - plenty of big fat hairy doughballs. Next time I will try water first! thanks
And if you are going to talk trash to a newbie... just keep my hairy doughballs out of your mouth
:ban:

LMAO!!
This has been fun!
Thanks for the info boys and sorry for posting a repeat question. I will add the grain to the water cause I don't want balls in my beer! ;)

Latest posts

Back