Grain Shelf Life? (and more)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryser2k

Reaction score
Back at the end of July I ordered the ingredients two all-grain recipes from Austin Homebrew. They've got this convenient feature where they will mill your grain and put it all into one sealed bag for you, for no extra charge. Loved the idea at the time, talk about convenience!

Well, I brewed the first kit (an Oktoberfest-style ale) and realized after bottling that I had something wrong with my brewing process. The beer turned out bad, making it my second consecutive bad batch. I decided to hold off on the second batch (a Magic Hat #9 clone) until I could figure out what I was doing wrong.

I decided to take a step back to partial mashes to take some of the variables out of the process. I ordered a new partial mash kit and replaced my 2 year old plastic bucket fermenter with a new 6.5 gal glass carboy.

The partial mash kit is bubbling away in my new fermenter right now, but the grain from the Magic Hat clone has been sitting in its bag for nearly 2 months. This brings me to a couple questions:

1. Is this grain OK to use any more? It's been sealed in the bag, but is milled and has sat at room temperature the entire time.
  2. I want to use the grain up, but I'm still not too keen on doing another AG batch until I see how this PM batch turns out. Also, it seems the regulator on my propane burner has a leak that I can't seem to repair, which means I can't really do a full boil anyway. Assuming the grain is OK to use, would it work for me take a portion of it and just do a PM batch? The grain bill is Pale malt, Crystal 60L, and White Wheat... but it is mixed in the bag so chances are I would get mostly pale malt...

I'm just trying to decide if I should try and salvage this grain or just trash it and start with fresh stuff. After having two bad batches in a row, I really don't want to have another one :mad:

Back