Grain prices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan_PA

Reaction score
It is no secret that there is a hop shortage effecting homebrewers and some commercial brewers. Likewise, it is no secret that grain will be effected too in the very near future. Well, it appears one of the larger online retailers have increased grain prices recently. Almost a month ago to the day (11/9/07) I placed an order for 36 pounds of misc grains, and the total came to $50.20. When putting an order together today, I started to realize the prices were closer to my LHBS and not a cheap as I had remembered. I did a side-by-side comparison and found the exact order would cost me $70.01 today. That is just under a 40% increase. I know we all knew this was coming and some members already noticed it on the local scene, but it is now hitting the discount online shops too. Much like the hop situation, this will not effect my brewing habits or styles, but unlike the hop situation, this does not seem to effect availability. I think that is in large part due to the way grain varieties are made by using a single mat and roasting.

The unfortunate thing for me is that I need to restock some specialty grains. I never seem to think ahead as smart as I like to think I am.

Please note: I am not trying to create a wave of hysteria like that in the hop situation. I just noticed this myself when putting an order together today, and figured I would pass along the word.

From what I have read elsewhere, the grain price is expected to come back down in the near future...I'll have to look around and see if I can find some reference.

A couple weeks before Thanksgiving I called a homebrew store I was going to be passing on the road and paid for a 55lb bag of Marris Otter over the phone. $48. When I stopped by a few days after Thanksgiving I decided to pick up a couple more bags of grain. I grabbed a 55lb bag of pilsner and a 55lb bag of munich: $58 each. Dunno, thought that was interesting.

Back