Grain Mills

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Warning--anecdote ahead:
The two batches I brewed with a borrowed corona mill had a noticeable grainy/straw flavor. Of course it could have been something else but I haven't had that experience with my roller mill.
Caveat-the corona may have been poorly adjusted or I ran it too fast. I prefer a roller mill because it has only 1 adjustment and requires very little fiddling to get consistent results.

I have been using my Corona style mill for 6 3/4 years and I get very consistent results. When the results are less consistent it in not because of the mill.

Cereal killer here. Set it to credit card gap, and I get 82% efficiency almost every brew. Sure, it grinds a bit fine at that setting, but for BIAB, its no big deal. Not too fine though.

I wouldn't even mess with a corona style. Save up for the Cereal killer, and get a corded drill. You CAN hand crank, but... $40 buys a nice "Skil" hand drill at lowes, I even paid the extra $5 2 year warranty, just in case :)

Why all the hate for the Corona mill. They are a bit of a PITA but they work very well. That said I want a good roller mill, but because I think it will be easier to use, not for the grind. I will have to see sometime in the future if it makes my beer any better. I think if it does, the change will be minor.

What is the best value out there for grain mills.....I don't need overkill, just something adequate.

I would say the best value is the Cereal Killer for $99 (includes baseplate and shipping).

I use a 3 roller Kegco mill, and I've been real happy with it.

If you drive your mill with a drill, it's best to use one that has sufficient gear reduction to give adequate torque at low speeds, like this one from HF. It's what I use, and it will cold start at low speed with the hopper prefilled, no problem.

I appreciate all the input.
I found a cereal killer for $99, free shipping.
It should be here 4/27.
My 11 gallon ss steamer pot came today.
My order of malts and hops came last week.
I'll be milling and brewing no later than Saturday.
Cheers!:rock:

That sounds great! Ever talk to the guys at Yorkholo Brewing?
I get my base malts from the local brewpub at wholesale cost (about $30/50lb bag). If it isn't something he has plenty of, he just adds my order in with his.

I appreciate all the input.
I found a cereal killer for $99, free shipping.
It should be here 4/27.
My 11 gallon ss steamer pot came today.
My order of malts and hops came last week.
I'll be milling and brewing no later than Saturday.
Cheers!:rock:
YEAH! Brew on brother! May the malts be with you!!

I get my base malts from the local brewpub at wholesale cost (about $30/50lb bag). If it isn't something he has plenty of, he just adds my order in with his.
Does he use imported base malts?? I'd love to find a deal locally on Bestmalz Heidelberg pilsener...

Does he use imported base malts?? I'd love to find a deal locally on Bestmalz Heidelberg pilsener...
I'm not sure about the imported base malts.
@ bleme, are you in the Mansfield area? I am interested to get in on a shipment with Yorkholo brewing. I look forward to hearing more about that.

@ bleme, are you in the Mansfield area? I am interested to get in on a shipment with Yorkholo brewing. I look forward to hearing more about that.

I live in central California - I just Googled what brewpubs were closest to you and Yorkholo's storefront seemed very approachable.

My brewpub gets some UK grain, like Maris Otter. I've never asked him for German stuff. Beerbomb's Yorkholo might since they seem to specialize in Belgian beers.

You might have a tougher time going that direction around Chicago. I would think the big guys wouldn't want to bother with it and the small guys wouldn't want to step on the LHBS toes. I might be wrong. Never hurts to ask.

I live in central California - I just Googled what brewpubs were closest to you and Yorkholo's storefront seemed very approachable.
My brewpub gets some UK grain, like Maris Otter. I've never asked him for German stuff. Beerbomb's Yorkholo might since they seem to specialize in Belgian beers.

You might have a tougher time going that direction around Chicago. I would think the big guys wouldn't want to bother with it and the small guys wouldn't want to step on the LHBS toes. I might be wrong. Never hurts to ask.
Thanks for the suggestion. I should stop in and throw that out to them.

The CK worked great!
The only thing that is missing from the Cereal Killer is a nice big sticker of the package art to put on the hopper. Or on my bumper. Or on my forehead!

Oh, and we the people want some CK schwag. Seriously, I want a Cereal Killer T-shirt. I'll pay for it and everything, just make one.

EDIT: A CK trucker hat would be clutch.

Last edited:
The cereal killer and 3-roller Kegco are both the best value around!

I have owned monster mills, crankandstein, corona, philmill... They all get the job done, but the 2 or 3 roller mills have a ton going for them. And the Cereal Killer or Kegco 3 roller version perform as well as any of the the pricier ones (and I have put countless pounds of grain through them all).

My $0.02

:mug:

The only thing that is missing from the Cereal Killer is a nice big sticker of the package art to put on the hopper. Or on my bumper. Or on my forehead!

Oh, and we the people want some CK schwag. Seriously, I want a Cereal Killer T-shirt. I'll pay for it and everything, just make one.

EDIT: A CK trucker hat would be clutch.
CK should be paying you for the endorsement!
i just bought a cereal killer aswell, but unlike you guys it cost me $60, as i had a lot of points to use at AIH, So got a gift card and made the purchase, hopefully it will arrive in next couple of days
You can't beat that!

A sticker for the hopper and a t-shirt sounds good. They should give swag out for referrals!
I don't want anything for free! Well maybe they could toss a sticker in the box when you buy the mill, but I would pay for stickers and the t-shirt and trucker hat. Gotta represent, let people know I'm an all-grain brewer. I'd be rockin' my Cereal Killer schwag when I bring homebrew to parties and when people ask what it means I'll tell them all my beers start with sacks of whole malted barley, then I'd add "You can't make good beer without killing some grain!"

I realize it is not the real thing...

ck.jpg

These days it seems that a lot of the time a great product is overshadowed/outpaced financially by the swag produced to promote the original product. It is a wonder why there is no Cereal Killer Mill swag.

I've used a Corona mill for about 2 yrs. now and had great beer from it. It's been modified like Wilserbrewers and couldn't be happier.

I've used a Corona mill for about 2 yrs. now and had great beer from it. It's been modified like Wilserbrewers and couldn't be happier.
I drive a ten year old nissan. I love it, I've had great times in it and couldn't be happier.
That is, until I test drove a BMW.
#WONTLOOKBACK

I drive a ten year old nissan. I love it, I've had great times in it and couldn't be happier.
That is, until I test drove a BMW.
#WONTLOOKBACK

Comparing the Corona mill to a ten year old a Nissan and the Cereal Killer to a BMW is a huge stretch imo.

I have both a corona and a kegco 3 roller, and after closely inspecting the crush from each side by side I can honestly say there ain’t much difference.

Anyways, the cereal killer / bmw comparison is ridiculous....the list price of the CK is way to low and the reliability is way too high!!!

I vote roller mill. I had a corona style but didn't like the grind. I bought a cereal killer and have been happy ever since. They go on sale sometimes for $90 and its totally worth the extra $70 in my book. I use a old 18v battery drill to grind my 10-15 gallon batches. 55 batches so far with cereal killer, probably over 1 ton of grain and still going strong.

Thanks guys. Just getting back into all grain after a year or so off. Ordered the Cereal Killer just now. I had a Barley Crusher for many years and though it always worked, I did get some slipping and even some binding from time to time. Hoping the ball bearing setup will fix that aspect. Cheers.

honestly I have a barley crusher. Ive had it for probably 5 years and have run maybe thousands of pounds of grain through it. Ive had to tinker with it a time or two. I keep it clean. the rollers are showing some signs of wear. Ive always been happy with it but for the money these days id probably buy a CK.

Corona Mill user here. In my experience, shredded husks have not been an issue. The trashy looking setup might be a turnoff, but the quality of the crush is good. Just offering my experience. For anyone who shouldn't be blowing more money on gear, the corona will get you in the game of buying bulk sacks of malt, which is the only way to go in my opinion. Keep crushing, my dudes!

I had a Barley Crusher for years and finally wore down knurling on the rollers. I went with the Cereal Killer this time.

Cereal killer is the best balance in quality to price for the average, dedicated home brewer. I get it, Corona mills can definitely get the job done. Its just like how people keep telling me I need to upgrade to a wilser bag, but I stubbornly stick with disposable paint strainer bags. Some people just can't be helped!

Cereal killer is the best balance in quality to price for the average, dedicated home brewer. I get it, Corona mills can definitely get the job done. Its just like how people keep telling me I need to upgrade to a wilser bag, but I stubbornly stick with disposable paint strainer bags. Some people just can't be helped!

I feel the same way. It's the nice, affordable, usable, middle-value mill. It will get the job done and do it in a reasonably timely fashion.

I'm an empty-nester so I can afford equipment that 20 years ago would never have even been on the radar. But if one can afford a bit more than a corona mill, the CK is, to me, what fills that bill.

Some people just can't be helped!
I agree completely, Some people just can't be helped.

corona type mills shred grain while roller mills crush it. Husks remain intact. Rotary mills result in powdered husks ending up in the boil and in the fermenter, which is not a good thing. It's not only an opinion, it is a fact that rotary grinders pulverize husks. Pulver is the german word for powder BTW. Corona mills are fine, just know what it is that they do to grain and husks and be prepared for the permanent impact this will have on the flavor of your beer.
Waxing on about corona mills creating too much powder or pulver, and fearing permanent impact it will have on your beer. All mills break some husks and create flour, nothing remains "intact" lol.

Its just like how people keep telling me I need to upgrade to a wilser bag, but I stubbornly stick with disposable paint strainer bags. Some people just can't be helped!
Then you choose to filter your mash with a cheap a$$ paint strainer bag that is about 4X too coarse for BIAB, JMO, and welcome a crap load of particulate in your wort, forming "mud" in your fermenter, an actual brewing term...Some people just can't be helped...lol and cheers!

So I guess what I'm hearing is, "The pulver from a corona mill is bad, but the pulver from the Cereal Killer is OK, so I just use a coarse paint strainer bag and welcome the pulver and flour from my Cereal Killer in my boil kettle."

Last edited:
I agree completely, Some people just can't be helped.

Waxing on about corona mills creating too much powder or pulver, and fearing permanent impact it will have on your beer. All mills break some husks and create flour, nothing remains "intact" lol.

Then you choose to filter your mash with a cheap a$$ paint strainer bag that is about 4X too coarse for BIAB, JMO, and welcome a crap load of particulate in your wort, forming "mud" in your fermenter, an actual brewing term...Some people just can't be helped...lol and cheers!

So I guess what I'm hearing is, "The pulver from a corona mill is bad, but the pulver from the Cereal Killer is OK, so I just use a coarse paint strainer bag and welcome the pulver and flour from my Cereal Killer in my boil kettle."
You've cornered me, thank you for the outside perspective. I had no idea the mesh was too large.
And I am familiar with the "mud" of which you speak. :oops:

You've cornered me, thank you for the outside perspective. I had no idea the mesh was too large.
And I am familiar with the "mud" of which you speak. :oops:
Do you notice any off flavors from it? I use a biab bag, but now I need to check the reviews of it to see if the mesh is too big!

What would the proper RPM of a direct drive motor be? Do these motors have to be geared down or would most fractional horsepower motors work just fine? Also, I have a kitchenaid stand mixer and those have a mill attachment, anyone tried one of those?

Ideally, I’ve heard best to spin a mill at 2/300 rpm.

I believe some motors have internal gear reduction, and some have added a second device for gear reduction. My simple and easy opinion is that a 1/2” slow speed drill fits the bill and is ready to use off the shelf and can be mounted for hands free operation. Some like a permanent mounted motor.

Kitchen aid mills are pretty small, and are more suited to smaller batches of grains, not so much repeated use doing 10-12 lbs of grist.

I also feel that it would be overuse of an expensive machine that’s operating beyond its designed capacity. Jmo

Ideally, I’ve heard best to spin a mill at 2/300 rpm.

The LODO site suggests as low as possible, targeting a rate of 100rpm or less. My Am Aleworks motor is geared down to 180rpm, which seems fine. The LODO site also suggests conditioning the grain, I think in part to ensure as little husk tearing as possible. I don't do that, it doesn't seem to matter with my mill that much.

That said, I've never compared the results (after mashing) of a crush like I'm doing now and before I bought it, when I used my Barley Crusher run by a drill that was going...well, pretty fast. I had to run it fast because it would bog down. I also ran a pretty narrow gap (.020) which had something to do with it. My current (3 roller Monster Mill) has the gap set at .035.

Back