Grain Mill Justification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is where I would justify it. Locally golden promise or marris otter are $2.35 and $2.45 per pound. A 55 lb sack shipped from Morebeer or even locally is about $1.27/lb.

A 2 roller monster mill package is $195 from more beer shipped. 177lbs of grain later and it has paid for itself even if I buy grain locally. Now I just need to find out how to store grain. Obviously it takes longer to pay for itself using less expensive grain so buying expensive grain is the only option.

Dang it...now I got to get a CK. Unlike others, I do save lots of money brewing my own. It averages me about 8 bucks a case. My LHBS crushes for free to my satisfaction. I usually by a 50# sack or 2 row or Vienna and a 50# sack of wheat. Then I get some 60L, MO and others. They crush it all and I store it in the bags they come in.

I have done this for a year and it usually takes 2-3 months to go through it. I have never really noticed an stale taste but I'm sure it happens. Most research tells me storing crushed grain for 2-3 weeks is fine. I have read others using crushed grain that was 2-3 months old with out any problems.

I have yet to find proof that it goes stale or rancid if stored in the house at controlled temps and humidity. Some will say bugs will get to it but that only make sense if bugs came with it unless it is stored and a place that has had bugs in the past.

I look at it this way. Most of it can be a year old when you buy it. Flour is stored for a year with no problems. I have stored flour in the freezer when I had a mealy bug issue....they came with the flour. I have also had flour pick up the taste/smell of the freezer.

So yeah....I'm on the fence too. 86 bucks shipped for a CK it hard to beat. They seem to have better reviews than the Barley Crusher which is why I avoided buying a crusher. It seemed the best solution was to get a MM and pay the big bucks with little ROI. I have plenty of drills, motors, pulleys, pillow blocks/speed brakes etc... I build meat grinders and have spare parts. It seems 300rpm is recommended for the CK.

Keep up the good feed back!

Thanks again for this find! I couldn't pass up that price with the free shipping! It's on the way! Now to get some nice air tight containers to store the uncrushed grain in. Anyone have any any containers they really like that wont break the bank?

I've got three of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00186O0UQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Not too expensive, airtight, opaque so that you can see how much is left without opening, foodsafe, holds a 55# sack of grain, and is on wheels. They occasionally go on sale as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, this gives me an excuse to post a pic of my favorite brew assistant...

Grain.jpg

Thanks again for this find! I couldn't pass up that price with the free shipping! It's on the way! Now to get some nice air tight containers to store the uncrushed grain in. Anyone have any any containers they really like that wont break the bank?

I get the 5 gal food grade buckets from Lowes & add the Gamma lids. Two hold 50 lbs of grain. They're also great for holding your freshly milled grains prior to brewing.

Morebeer: Rahr 2 row base malt. Unmilled 1 pound =1.49 Milled = 1.74 Bulk sack unmilled = 46.99 (93 cents per pound) milled = not available.

If you buy 12 recipes per year with a flat rate shipping of $5.99 that is another $71.88

You also have to plan ahead. You will want to use the milled grain pretty soon after receiving it.

I have a Corona style mill and have been using it for about 5 years. I get a pretty consistent 68-70% efficiency. I often change my mind on what to brew on the morning of brew day. Just go to the buckets/Gamma lids of base grains or the lock and lock boxes of specialty grains and weigh out what I need. I only order a couple times a year now.

I get 5 gallon buckets with press on lids from a local dairy for $1.50. I have 10. I think I need to go get a few more!!!

I just bought 2 55lb sacks for $80 at the LHBS. That's .70/lb and their price by the lb is 1.35. Having a mill is weeellll worth it if you brew regularly

At that price, that better be Maris Otter or English Specialty grain. There is no reason other stuff should cost that much.

Still, the point is valid. I will, eventually, pay for my mill with the difference in bulk prices.

I just bought 2 55lb sacks for $80 at the LHBS. That's .70/lb and their price by the lb is 1.35. Having a mill is weeellll worth it if you brew regularly

I just got my Cereal Killer mill last week, haven't used it yet. I got it mainly so I can store grains, and not have to worry about using quickly the 2 or 3 kits that I bought. Also, I noticed depending on where I'd order from would greatly affect my efficiency. So now I got control of the crush. Now the problem is finding a deal on bulk grains locally. The only shop anywhere close is an hour away, and it's still cheaper to pay the $18 shipping from morebeer than what the LHBS charges.

Honestly, if you cannot get your base grains locally, easily, & milled to your liking I'd buy a mill.
I have a 3 roller MM & couldn't be happier. BUT- I got it because my LHBS was closing after 25 years!
I buy locally in bulk plus specialty grains 10+ lbs at a time & mill on brew day.

Back