Grain mill gap setting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborman

Reaction score
Ive searched the forums, and found some info, but wanted to bounce this question off the forum group: I just received my barley crusher mill, and it comes factory set at .39 thousands of an inch (1mm). Is this a proper setting for an all grain mash? I am using an igloo round cooler with a ss braid. I have done 2 prior all grains, but used pre milled grain and had very low efficiency.

Id like to find a balance of a good crush without a high risk of a stuck sparge...

I condition my grains and run my crusher at .30. Tried .25 once and got flour caking the rollers so backed off next time out. Efficiency running 80% in my rectangle cooler with bazooka screen.

With a MM 2-2, I've used 0.035 to 0.045" and have to say the efficiency was excellent at 0.035 and the flow rate was outstanding at 0.045. But it does appear that a compromise gap of around 0.038 to 0.040" could be helpful. It sounds like BC's factory setting should be about right.

Back