Grain in primary? Noob question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warispeace

Reaction score
In the process of making my second-ever batch of beer, I had something of a grain bag malfunction. Basically it ripped on me and I had to leave it all in with the wort. Are there any issues with actually leaving the grain in primary? I already pitched the yeast but now I'm wondering if that was a mistake. I was going to strain out the grains when I rack to secondary. Or should I rerack immediately, while it's still fermenting? Or is it going to affect the taste at all? :confused:

It's a stout so I'm not worried about clarity here. I searched around but couldn't find anything on the subject. Please help!

I would try to strain them out or rack off of it, as much as I dislike the idea of bothering fermentation. If the grains sit in there too long they could impart off flavors.

I don't think I would worry so much about the grain in the primary as much as the possible off flavors that you may get from boiling the grain. I would imagine that you extracted quite a few tannins out of it and who knows what else. I maybe wrong here so I refer to more expert help.

However if fermentation has started I would not rack the beer, you kind of want the yeast to do what they are doing. Also straining the beer after fermentation you are most likely going to oxidize the hell out of it. Luckily all of the grain should sink to the bottom of the carboy and mix in with the trub. You will most likely lose quite a bit of beer when you do rack, so there is that as well.

Who knows this may turn out to be a real good beer...

Another thing I was wondering, with the grain taking up so much space I would think that would throw off the proportions quite a bit. After primary is finished and I rack I would probably have to top it off with water to get it back to get it back to 5 gallons. Or would that affect the taste too?

Well it should be an interesting experiment anyway.

Boiling grains is never good. It can leave a bitter-like flavor in your final beer. Hopefully it turns out alright.

Don't worry about them in the fermenter at this point. And don't add water to the bucket after fermentation begins. Just let it do it's thing at this point and hope for the best.

I would not top it off after you rack from primary. Leave it as is. Adding water after the fermentation is not a good idea, you are changing the entire profile of the beer and plus introducing a whole new stage for infection. I would consider it a done beer at this point and continue on as you normally would. Even if it doesnt turn out as good as beer as you want to, you know how grains will affect a final product.

Your not the first person that this has happened to. Dont Sweat it. Grab a straining bag (preferably one large enough to stretch over your brew pot) and a couple of the cheap cheesecloth ones, just in case, when you get the stuff for your next recipe.:mug:

Mark it up as Experience . . . Get Brewing another batch so you don't have a longtime inbetween batches. If it is bad then you will only have a few days and the loss won't be so disconcerning. If it does turn out drinkable you'll just have MORE BEER. :rockin:

GL on your quest for a Better Beer.

Back