Grain in boil and batch temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hagelslag

Reaction score
I'm trying to refine my process. I'm using a 10 gal round cooler with a SS false bottom. When I collect the first runoff I see quite a bit of grain in the first 2 pitchers. It cleans up but I'm still getting some grain husks and small particles in my boil. I've never noticed any off flavors but,

Does the boil really need to have every bit of grain removed? Or am i being overly picky and is this just part of the all-grain process?
I was thinking of putting a hop bag at the end of the hose as I'm draining to collect the last few particles? Will that work?

Also, I've been batch sparging at 168 because that is what beersmith said to batch sparge at based on my equipment. I've been reading on here and some people say to up the temp to 175-180? Would upping my temp make that big of difference in efficiency?

Thanks.

In my experience the little grain particles don't hurt anything. I've vorlaufed over 2 gallons before and still had little bits of grain coming through; so I just vorlauf enough to get the big particles out and call it good.

What you worry about with grain is tannin extraction.
It should never become a problem unless you make extremely light beer or have werry hard water.
With normal water Id guess you would need to make slightly malted water to have to worry about that

Back