Grain Group Buy - Mid Hudson Valley, NY, CT Round#2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
poobah,

you are in, PM me your email so i can give you access to view the google docs spreadsheet.

Guess the ct buy is done, can I get in in this one? Live in Windsor ct. Looking for 2 bags of 2 row, 1 bag Maris otter.

we are up to 42 sacks. Please reply with your location and how you intend to get your grain.

As i mentioned i can mule to CT but will only make 2 stops (Danbury and Manchester) so you CT folks will need to work together and find a distributor that can pickup your orders.

Once everyone replies with their location, how they intend to get their grain and confirm the order as listed on the spreadsheet i will double check the order totals and then provide details on how to provide payment.

If everyone wants to pickup their order in New Milford, CT i will entertain taking Poobah up on his loading dock offer. We'd save around $4 per sack in shipping. This will only happen if all CT buyers will pickup their orders in New Milford, i would only mule sacks to poughkeepsie (id split my fuel bill with those picking up in pougkeepsie)

My order is good. I had planned on Poughkeepsie, but I suppose if it helped out or dropped my price a couple bucks I could do Danbury

The spreadsheet shows 2 bags of CM-2ROW for me that I did not order.

I ordered 2 bags of GW-2ROW, and that is correct on the spreadsheet.

Tom

I can go either way on delivery.

If the delivery is Poukeepsie, I would pick up in Danbury.

If the order is New Milford, would pick up there. I also would be able to bring the central CT bags to Newtown (I84- exit 11) if that would help them out.

My order is good. I would pickup in Poughkeepsie ... I will split the fuel costs with you if you decide to pick it up in New Milford.

I would be good with picking up my grain in New Milford, CT. If someone would be willing to mule 2 sacks to Manchester, I would work with that also. I checked the google doc and my order is correct, 2 x Briess 2row

I will check this thread daily for updates. PM me if you want to work out transport deals.

When would this buy happen and be delivered? I am out of the state Oct. 2 through Oct. 10. Let me know if it would be over this time period.

:mug:

The buy is full so as soon as we work out the logistics of pickup / delivery i will request payment from folks, when i have all payments i will place the order. it usually arrives the 2nd day. Id guess delivery would be sometime the first week of october.

im thinking delivery in New Milford might work best.

1/3 of the sacks are going to New Milford
1/3 of the sacks are going 1 hour west
1/3 of the sacks are going 1 hour east

i will mule for the sacks going to poughkeepsie (west). everyone else can either pickup in new milford or coordinate someone to mule east.

Ok, take a swing at some coordination. It looks like indibrewer, roguemc flatfour64 and brewskerdoo (me) are the 4 central(ish) CT participants that might want to work together to get our bags back to the Hartford area most economically.
If one of the 4 of us can pick up all 12 sacks, we could come up with some number per sack each of us would owe to cover your expenses.
Any volunteers?
I work in East Hartford and live in Berlin I so I could potentially do the pickup on a Sat. and meet up on the following Monday in E. Hartford to distribute.
Of course if anyone else can get the central CT 12 sacks closer to us, that's even better.

I have no issues doing that but I own a sedan and don't think I can fit all those bags in the trunk? I think whoever brings back those bags we all can meet at the park and ride lot in Manchester right off exit 62 at a set time.

Does anyone have a vehicle that could haul the 12 bags? I have a little Mazda that couldn't handle the 600#'s. I too could pick up my bags at exit 62 in Manchester, I'm just not sure what our options are at this point.

Flatflour, brewskerdoo do you guys have a vehicle to haul the grains? If not then we have to look for other options.

K47k is there a possibility to stick to original plan?

I can handle the 12 bags. My truck gets around 14 mpg unloaded. Google
says my round trip Berlin / New Milford millage is around 90 miles. Some quick calculatin' and i come up with roughly $2.25 / bag to cover my gas. That sound reasonable?

That sounds good to me brewskerdoo, I would pay you $5 cash to bring my 2 sacks to Berlin. Once we know hard dates, we can set up a time for me to pick up from you.

:rockin:

Is there any option to pick it in east Hartford or Manchester? Berlin is still around 30 miles for me.

K47k any thoughts on sticking to plan?

Is there any option to pick it in east Hartford or Manchester? Berlin is still around 30 miles for me.

K47k any thoughts on sticking to plan?

As far as i know brewskerdoo works in hartford area and can bring sacks there.

That being said theres alot of people going pretty far out of there way to make this buy happen. there are other options for getting grain, like going to the home brew shop and paying $100 per sack.

if you want out let me know.

Sorry for the confusion. Let me try and clarify.
My intent is to make the pickup on whatever Saturday we are told the order is ready.
I will hold on the sacks until the next Monday when I am back to work in East Hartford and we'll figure out a convenient time and place to meet.
I did not include my mileage from Berlin to E. Hrfd in my expense recovery calculation because I have to travel that distance anyway.
I think this where I caused the confusion.
Everyone still in?

Oh, and one last thing. I will be out of town 10/12 thru 10/14 so hopefully this comes through either before or after my mini-vaca.

Great, that works for me! Again, I do need to mention I will be out of state 10/2 to 10/10, so depending on timing, I may have to work something out. I'm sure rougemc and I could coordinate since we do work together...

Thank you for offering to mule all that grain, brewskerdoo. I also have a sedan and cannot haul a big load.

ive heard from everyone but murgula, ive sent him some emails, once i hear back we are ready to roll, at that time ill make final updates to the spreadsheet and request payment from folks.

Hopefully i will get all payments by tuesday, then i can work with poobah on when delivery will be. assuming all payments on tuesday i should be able to get the order delivered as early as friday.

Thanks for all your work on this buy k47k. I'm very happy that this moved along so quickly. I want to make sure that I pick up the PayPal fees, is there something special I need to do when I send the $$?

Ok everyone has confirmed their order.

Please send Money Order or Paypal now.

the payment details (name, address, paypal id etc) are shown on line 69 of the spreadsheet.

Please ensure if you use paypal do NOT send payment as a gift and ensure you cover any fees associated with the transaction.

Everyone is close enough that even if you go the money order route i should receive it by Tuesday. Please ensure you send out payments today or tommorow so we dont hold up the order.

Email me at the paypal address if you have any questions.

K47k,

I have sent you the money via PayPal. The fees is also included. In case you have received less money then please let me know.

Thanks

I am also sending via PayPal. I added 3% but I don't know why. Seems like it should be no charge. I am not buying goods or services, simply reimbursing. Don't know why they gave you such a hard time before but oh well...

Yea i dont know whats up with paypal, this all started when i was doing regular buys for another club, people would reimburse me via paypal. one day i get a letter from paypal instruction me to stop using the Gift option or they would cancel my account.

I had a lawyer review paypals terms of service and what i was doing was well within their TOS. They drafted a letter to paypal, which they blew off. "stop doing it or your account will be closed".

i didnt want to waste anymore resources fighting it so we just decided to use money orders, cash or paypal with the fees paid.

Is there any way you can notify me when?? I'm ramping up my homebrewing for the Winter, and also buying a grain mill (recommendations anyone?) Or should I just monitor the Forum. I'm in the Providence Area, if any lurkers out there are interested in a Group Buy. But someone will have to find a person with a NCM Account so we can place an order. Methinks that an alliance with a Boston or Eastern CT Group buy is more realistic, but you never know till you bring it up. Manchester CT is not that far from PVD.

Monster Mill.

i dont plan on doing an other buy until spring unless the demand is there.

you never know, i didnt expect this one to close up until late winter. check in on the group buy forum for the latest buy information.

I have the MM3 with 1.5" rollers. to be honest i think the two rollers would probably be fine. dont see a need for the bigger 2" rollers either.

Ive put may hundreds of pounds of grain through mine with no trouble.

i would get the 1/2" shaft option if i were to buy another one.

i have the 3/8" shaft and after much use its slightly out of true, most likely because i hang a heavy drill off of it. doesnt affect function at all.

I would also like the 1/2" so the drill can have better bite. the 3/8" shaft has some very small flats milled, i would go for the 1/2" and ask monster to mill larger flats so there is no chance of the drill slipping on the shaft.

Back