Grain crush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arla

Reaction score
Having gotten a new grain Mill, I did my first batch of all grain with it, stuck sparge, burnt element, all bad. What I probably stupidly hadn't done was check the Mill Gap before using it (assumed monster Mill would start with a good Gap).

So second batch now (got to get back on that bike) can anyone who knows take a look and see if this is good? It should I just throw in some rice hulls anyway?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ehdFm9wWRwpvDE3Y7

Thanks, I added 200g just because I really don't want a repeat of last time, and this being a multi stage mash I know I'll need it to flow okay. 4.5kg of grain is what I added too

Having gotten a new grain Mill, I did my first batch of all grain with it, stuck sparge, burnt element, all bad. What I probably stupidly hadn't done was check the Mill Gap before using it (assumed monster Mill would start with a good Gap).

So second batch now (got to get back on that bike) can anyone who knows take a look and see if this is good? It should I just throw in some rice hulls anyway?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ehdFm9wWRwpvDE3Y7

Monster Mill started with a good gap. It's your system that needs some modification. Since you are the first that has mentioned a problem with the mill gap, I have to assume that most other brewers that use a Monster Mill don't have a problem.

Monster Mill started with a good gap. It's your system that needs some modification. Since you are the first that has mentioned a problem with the mill gap, I have to assume that most other brewers that use a Monster Mill don't have a problem.

So, I'd speculate it could well be a combination, Monster mill may have started with a good gap when it left the factory, but who knows what the gap was by the time it got to me (and I'm not trying in any way to blame Monster Mill here, this was entirely MY error, I should have checked the gap as I was putting together the mill to ensure it was at a reasonable crush), it could also certainly be parts of my system too.

The good news (for me) was adding 200grams of Rice Hulls seems to alleviate any issues, had a good clean mash, my RIMS element had some stuff on it, but nothing was scorched on and a quick wipe-down cleaned it off nicely.

Back