Grain Crush question w/ pic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyg354

Plant Based Homebrewer
Reaction score
So I have been having problems with grainy tasting beer lately. Checked my ph this past weekend at it was at 5.7-5.8 after a half hour so I don't think that is causing the issue. I have read bad crushing can cause the grainy flavor. The pic below is how I have been crushing for my past couple beers. Can some please critique my crush?

image-2823268605.jpg

Looks OK. How is your efficiency?
I've had the same problems. One thing for me is my efficiency was low, but it turns out my beer was finishing high, and the yeast was under-attenuating (I use propagated yeast stored in the fridge for a couple months). I think maybe I was under-pitching the yeast, resulting in leaving sugars and weird yeast flavors.
This next batch I'm going to use more yeast.
For me, I think I have two separate issues.

That crush looks very corse. I would tighten that up a few thousands. The only real limit to the crush is a stuck sparge. I have my MM2 set at .038 and don't have any sparge problems.

That crush looks very corse. I would tighten that up a few thousands. The only real limit to the crush is a stuck sparge. I have my MM2 set at .038 and don't have any sparge problems.

second the course comment. They look like they are only cracked in half, ideally you should have a complete separation of the husk without any shredding.

you tested the ph of what?

also looks like your crush could be finer.

oh burned!

(Despite using pH meters for rural water systems, hot tubs, and brewing for years, I don't even know what it stands for other than as a measure of basic vs acidic, so.....you got me!)

oh burned!

(Despite using pH meters for rural water systems, hot tubs, and brewing for years, I don't even know what it stands for other than as a measure of basic vs acidic, so.....you got me!)

Every time I have some little grammar nitpick in my crosshairs, I crash and burn too.

pH is something like 1/log of hydrogen ion concentration, if memory serves. I think 'p' stands for 1/log and 'H' stands for hydrogen ion concentration.

pH refers to the concentration of hydrogen atoms (H+) in a solution. It is a function of the negative log (p) of the hydrogen ions in solution, or H.

Back