graff/malt question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drpookie

Reaction score
I just mixed my first batch and am really looking forward to 3 weeks from now lol.
When I added the malt extract which I had boiled w 1.5 gallons H20, and added my apple juice, over a few minutes it seemed the malt all settled to the bottom. I just pitched my yeast and gave things a good shake to distribute (as some seem prone to do) but still there is the sediment on the bottom, which I assume is the malt extract. Will it still ferment and come out allright, or is it normally well blended?

Did you aerate? Sounds like you didn't. Need to aerate at the start, the yeast need oxygen to reproduce. This is the only time you want to expose the wort to oxygen.

If you don't aerate, fermentation will be slow and may stall.

Ah ok, thanks. I did shake the carboy quite a bit, and now things are fermenting well, a big bubble every couple of seconds. Thanks!

I'm curious if this turned out OK. I just made a gallon of Graff and when I added the wort to the juice, I immediately got a fluffy white-ish sediment that fell out of solution. Was it the malt extract?

Back