graff didnt start fermenting :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krisagon

Reaction score
Hi y'all, I'm sorry to post this kind of total noob thing, BUT...

I think I may have the dreaded stuck fermentation... I'm making a beer/cider hybrid (graff), the basic recipe is: 4 gallons cider, 1 gallon water with 2 lbs DME boiled into it. I made a 1L starter of WLP300 liquid yeast. I pitched it at 64F, and my basement warmed it up to 66F. My initial refract reading was 17 brix, and 3 days later it was 16 brix, which means only the slightest bit of fermentation has happened. There's a 1 inch tall yeast cake at the bottom of my carboy now... Any ideas what I can do?

Oh yeah, there were 4 days between the pitching and the other measurement.
I put a servomyces in with my starter... is there something else I can toss in there?

Oh no! I'm making my 1st Graff this afternoon. I hope the dry yeast I'll use does better! Good luck with this one, sounds like it will work out with time or jostling the carboy.

I would give it a swirl and check your recommended fermentation temps maybe you can move it to a warmer spot. I would still wait.

How do you have a 1" yeast cake if there isn't any fermentation going on?

Just checked and recommended fermentation temp is 68-72. I 'd move it and relax

It took 5 days for mine to take off, after 4 days @ 62 - 64F in the basement I moved it upstairs to 70F and stuck it right next to the baseboard heat. 24 hrs later it finally started bubbling and I moved it back downstairs.

Back