Gotta Laugh at yourself, meaning me.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregg Meyer

Reaction score
Now that I have enough knowlege and experience to be dangerous I can see why I am laughing at myself and understanding why the other fine folks here were throwing up on their keyboards when I told my first few brew session mistakes.

They really weren't mistakes just modifications to a forgiving chemistry. I acctually threw away a batch of beer ( a year plus ago) because, not knowing I thought I ruined it by reversing the order of hops addition. Ok this is where you laugh again this time with me. Now that i know I see why that was pretty bad. Oh well they say education is expensive and sure enough it is. Pioneers have allot of arrows in their back also. Not that I'm a pioneer. I just know when you go out on a limb your going to have many people try to stop you. Any way thought you guys/gals would like to know I have learned to relax and have a home brew. Life is pretty good and the sun will come up tomorrow.

G,

Honestly, I think in in the homebrew community people are anxious to see what others have tried and had success with. Ya know, if someone else does something wild and it turns out to be awesome beer... thats sweet. If they do something wild and it tastes like lima beans and peanut butter, then you are not out any money... they other guy is!

Amen. We have to learn from other peoples mistakes... We don't live long enough to make them all ourselves.

What's the worst that can happen? You waste a Saturday bottling a batch that you hope get's better w/ age. You open that first bottle and it tastes like crap. Pour it out, cross that recipe off your list to never be spoken about again, then try another one. Key is always learn from mistakes.

Ya have to put yourself out on the limb so to speak to ever really advance in any field. If you just sit back in the comfort zone and dont push yourself IMHO you'll never get to your peek potential.

I remember back in High school, senior, I was 18 and the drinking age was 18.

the father of a good friend made wine. I was at their home and thet asked if I wanted to have some wine so I said ok. Friends dad made the most amazing wines I have ever had, they were all VERY good. I go as dry as a merlot so I'm definately not an expert. Anyway unfortunatly all that talent was wasted when he suddenly died of cancer a few months later. My friend has never picked up where the ol man left off pity I think. I'm not a big drinker more of a guy who ,likes abeer now and then and a good wine too. :tank:

To me homebrewing is about pushing the envelope. Make the beers that sound interesting to you. Some are winners, some are losers, but all are unique. Every once in a while you stumble upon something that's truly amazing!

Back