Gotdanged Lawn Equipment Services

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago I bought a top of the line 5.5 HP Honda Self Propelled mower. Castered front wheels, steel deck, twin blades for extra mulching ability, and a OHV motor.

In little more than a year (2 exact days after the warranty expired) the tranny on the self propelled end malfunctions. That is, it wouldn't pull itself and when I pulled it back the wheels locked up leaving me dragging the thing across the lawn.

So, I called no less than a half dowzen repair shops and get the same line from each. "About 2 to 3 hundred dollars parts and labor to replace the tranny" and "It's really common for these trannys to fail due to the aluminum sprockets...."

Okay, so I bought a new mower. But, I kept the Honda anyways. I have had it's sitting gas free in a shed for about 3 years, maybe even 4.

I decided it was time I stripped the tranny out to turn this thing into a push mower and set about doing just that. I was not sensitive about the tranny removal in the least. Pryed open the case cover, splitting it into a couple pieces. Sprokets flying everywhere! Which happened to be stainless steel by the way! Matter of fact, everything inside the case looked to be in perfect condition.

Finally I get enough of the bits off and the case rotates about the wheels axle revealing what used to be the top side where the cables attach.

Well bless!

Turns out, all it was is the sheath for the clutch cable had split thus there was not enough resistance in the line to engage the clutch.

$%^^*(^$#$#$#(*(*()(*(&%$#@!@!$#)*&^%^&*&^!!!!!!!!

A $500 mower reduced to a $100 push mower over a, literal, $10 cable.

Lesson learned.

I was thrilled however that even tho' this engine had been sitting so long, it still started with only 1 pull.

The engineer who designed your mower is getting a raise if honda sees this thread.

That is funny. But as and engineer I know that is not the case. Honda would much rather have every mower last for 5+years without any repairs, as long as it didn't cost more to produce. The real problem is that you try to manufacture the device for as cheap as possible while still meeting the design goals and reliability targets. This allows you to either sell it for less and win market share from competitors and/or make more profit per sale. Reputation allows you to sell for a higher price so reliability is important.

[/rant] Sorry

Thats why i like my reel mower. The only mower simpler is a scythe and it does a great job.

Craig

Yeah, come and mow my lawn with a reel mower -- By the time you finished, you'd need a scythe to cut where you started (a few weeks earlier) :) :) :)

The main support strut for my washing machine is an aluminum forging, which bolts to a stainless steel drum and has a cheap steel bearing press-fitted into the center. It's just a matter of time before the strut fails due to galvanic corrosion. A friend who has the same machine says, "They designed a washing machine that fails if it is exposed to water and laundry soap."

The main support strut for my washing machine is an aluminum forging, which bolts to a stainless steel drum and has a cheap steel bearing press-fitted into the center. It's just a matter of time before the strut fails due to galvanic corrosion. A friend who has the same machine says, "They designed a washing machine that fails if it is exposed to water and laundry soap."

I've seen so much of that kind of crap over the past years. Now when I fix things and get upset, my wifes says, "What did the idiot engineers do wrong this time?"

It's rare to find a product that is truly high quality anymore.

tree_swing_70s.jpeg

Yeah, come and mow my lawn with a reel mower -- By the time you finished, you'd need a scythe to cut where you started (a few weeks earlier) :) :) :)

So why do you need acres of lawn? You could keep most of it a meadow by mowing once or twice a year. Or allow it to regrow the forest. Or do something more productive. i see these huge multi acre lawns and just think "what a waste"

Still a reel mower is not for every lawn, but thats why I like our neighborhood. Small compact lawns and beautiful tree lined streets.

Craig

I have a 12 yr old Kubota walk behind mower. They don't make it anymore I think because the thing is built like a tank. It always starts and runs great with nothing other than oil changes and 1 spark plug . All Aluminum Heavy deck, engine stays running when you release the handle but the blade stops no starting everytime you move the hose or empty the bag. Looks just like this one

kubota2.JPG

So why do you need acres of lawn? You could keep most of it a meadow by mowing once or twice a year. Or allow it to regrow the forest. Or do something more productive. i see these huge multi acre lawns and just think "what a waste"
Noone needs lawn at all. Different strokes for different folks -- some prefer trees, some prefer ridiculous amounts of lawn, some prefer concrete.

That being said, we moved in last summer and while I would much prefer a fully treed lot, the people who built the house a few years ago preferred lawn I guess.

I am slowly (due to kids) but surely re-planting trees to try and turn my lawn into a forest (projected completion: 2030) which will double as a snow fence in the winter.

Until then, I'm stuck mowing because I prefer lawn to meadow.

Still a reel mower is not for every lawn, but thats why I like our neighborhood. Small compact lawns and beautiful tree lined streets.
Again, different strokes for different folks. I had the same in our last house and hated it -- Much prefer being in the country and having some land instead of living on a postage stamp stuck in the middle of hundreds or thousands of homes.

Back