Got the runs from my homebrew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmac

Reaction score
I just found out that a few of my friends that came over to the house to do a taste test got the runs. This is right before I host a big party with 25 gallons of homebrew and 5 gallons of afelwein .

I dont suspect that it is infected as it tastes great... One of the friends said he would not drink homebrew again and the other didnt care.. They have loved all of the beers I have brewed in the past. The guy that said he would never drink it again was trashed though so I am not to sure about what he said..

Any suggestions? I dont want to have big party where everyone gets the runs and then bashes the brew.. This is the first time that anyone has had anything besides good reviews. Also, I am probably working on at least 50-75 gallons so far..

5 gallons of the brew is a Simcoe IPA that absolutely smells and taste awesome. What I suspect is that brew they tried was a Haus pale that is young.. 7-10 days before racking to the keg...It has been in the keg for another week..

That is an accurate statement but I have known him for ever and he is a great guy...

I only get the runs when I drink too much beer, not beer period.

There's nothing in fully-fermented beer (except the alcohol) that can make you ill - as in 24 hour stomach flu ill. Unless they have a sensitivity to something.

That's why people have been drinking it for thousands of years.

Do you have a good handle on your water chemistry, specifically your magnesium levels. Too much magnesium will clean you out pretty thoroughly.

Some individuals may actually have a yeast allergy or it simply doesn't agree with their digestive system. I've heard of several people getting the runs from homebrewing. It's not really filtered like commercial beers after all...

My .02 =]

Never the runs, but a few cases of the walking farts :D

gotta be overindulgence, or maybe maybe something they both ate while drinking?

I have Crohn's Disease and I drink homebrew every night of the week (Except sundays... sometimes...) and I've never had an issue. If theres something that can survive in a typical, fully fermented brew then it would have sent me to the hospital a long time ago. I agree with most of the other guys, there had to have been another factor...

My .02...

I'm with the others who think it's something they ate. Probably too many greasy wings or too much pizza, or whatever you guys ate. If you ordered in takeout I'd put money on that being the culprit.

Brewers yeast will cause an excess of gas and ****ing etc if your body is not used to it. I don't think anyone here can dispute that. On the plus side, not only is it good for you, but it will go away as soon as your digestive tract deals with having a large amount of yeast in it.

I dont did not sweeten with Lactose.. I dont have any info on the water chemistry.. The only thing different about these batches is I started kegging.

I am going to cut off the bottom inch or so off of the dip tube so it is not putting a healthy amount of yeast in each glass...

Thoughts?

I will be serving the following for my 30th birthday party..

5 gallons of Simcoe IPA
10 Gallons Edwort's Haus Pale Ale
10 gallons of American Amber Ale.
5 gallons of Apfelwein

I've gotten the runs before, but it's always been after a heavy night of drinking and eating junkfood. I blame it on both the yeast AND the junkfood, but in your case I'd say it's the junkfood.

Homebrew helps my digestive system. It's one reason I started brewing again.

I've always thought the stuff was magic personally. Helps my stomach and zero hangover...and to me it's a different buzz (BMC almost instantly gives me a headache). Magic I tell ya.

Back when I use to drink at a local brewpub regularly I'd get that issue on occasion. My buddy and I called it "revenge of the Turtle" since the place was Turtle Mountain. I always chocked it to having a few too many and having all that yeast in the gut (they don't filter their beers).

unfilitered IPA did the same to my stomach... It had what looked like hops sediment (from dry hop?)

I did not eat anything suspect then.

It was...the salmon mousse

No treats at this little get together? It is always more likely to have been something they ate.

I also have the emergency run to the bathroom in the morning, or even sometimes later in the evening if I start drinking early enough. Collateral damage. I have a pretty wussy stomach, if I eat after 7 pm, poultry, Alfredo sauce, homebrews, all sort of things give me the hurgalie gurgalies. What I have found that helps immensely is to take an Imodium A-D or the generic form of it. I have done some research on it and it really has not long term health effects. (I go through about a bottle every few weeks). Anyone else know if this is a good idea?
Take two before drinking and should be all good.

Homebrew used to wreak havoc on my digestive system as well, to the point where I almost gave up on it shortly after I started brewing. But once I got used to it, I haven't had any problems whatsoever (except with beers that use a lot of roasted grains, but I don't like those anyway).

Since you have a kegging setup, you could filter your beer - that gets rid of the yeast, eliminating one of the two major candidates for the source of their discomfort (the other one being an abundance in dextrins, which are hard for some people to digest).

In today's world of preprocessed and packaged foods. Few people have any tolerance for natural products. It isn't your homebrew, it is any beer or food product that isn't sterilized for preparation in a microwave. If you friends would have sat down with you for a night of drinking microbrews it would have been the same effect.

Also, ingesting a large volume of yeast will make you smell worse than normal. I drink unfiltered beer enough now that it is just normal and I think my body (or my brain) have adapted to it. Most people will seriously punish their toilet the morning after drinking unfiltered beer.

Brewers yeast will cause an excess of gas and ****ing etc if your body is not used to it. I don't think anyone here can dispute that.

I'll dispute it. :D

Why do beans give you gas? not from yeast, but from complex sugars -- oligosaccharides to be exact.

In big complex beers, or under fermented beers, there's quite a bit of oligosaccharides that the yeasties haven't gotten to, or can't get to. When the commercial beers filter their beer, they also trap out these long complex sugars. In homebrew, you consume the long complex sugars and once they get into your intestines, the beasties in your intestines feast on these complex sugars and then bring on the tuba!

i dont know why any one would be so upset by the runs, but you know what? if anyones homebrew made me constipated i would be f***ing pissed

Why do beans give you gas? not from yeast, but from complex sugars -- oligosaccharides to be exact.

In big complex beers, or under fermented beers, there's quite a bit of oligosaccharides that the yeasties haven't gotten to, or can't get to. When the commercial beers filter their beer, they also trap out these long complex sugars. In homebrew, you consume the long complex sugars and once they get into your intestines, the beasties in your intestines feast on these complex sugars and then bring on the tuba!

Then explain filtered beer that is refermented in the bottle as a way of carbonating causing the same problem. I'm not disagreeing, I'm just saying a lot of yeast will also cause this.

I agree. Thats the exact reason why beans make you fart too. Take some beano before drinking homebrewed beer. I'm sure the yeast contribute too. Its probably what they get broken down into that is more of a cause.

I've gotten a slight case of the bubble guts from homebrew before, but no mudd butt yet.

This thread is cracking me up

On the topic though i have to say that when i first started homebrewing i would get stomach bubbles and farts all the time after a night of HEAVY drinking :drunk: but never anything else and i have one of the most sensitive stomachs of anyone i have ever met in my life. My bet is it is not the beer but more likely linked to something they ate and the amount they consumed.

only left handed brews milk stout upsets my stomach after about 3.

I also have the emergency run to the bathroom in the morning, or even sometimes later in the evening if I start drinking early enough. Collateral damage. I have a pretty wussy stomach, if I eat after 7 pm, poultry, Alfredo sauce, homebrews, all sort of things give me the hurgalie gurgalies. What I have found that helps immensely is to take an Imodium A-D or the generic form of it. I have done some research on it and it really has not long term health effects. (I go through about a bottle every few weeks). Anyone else know if this is a good idea?
Take two before drinking and should be all good.

I don't know about long term health effects, but I've wound up with pretty bad constipation. I have IBS and react badly to anything fatty, such as steak and ribs. I have found Beano to work without the side affects.

I don't know about long term health effects, but I've wound up with pretty bad constipation. I have IBS and react badly to anything fatty, such as steak and ribs. I have found Beano to work without the side affects.

No constipation for this guy, just enough to keep me "regular". The biggest ones for me are eating late, after 7, or the poultry, or any amount of beer (more than a 6 pack) will upset my stomach. Never "the runs" but "I gotta go now!", and then half an hour or an hour, "I gotta go again". I like the phrase "mud butt":cross:.

Then explain filtered beer that is refermented in the bottle as a way of carbonating causing the same problem. I'm not disagreeing, I'm just saying a lot of yeast will also cause this.

you answered your own question. :D You don't (well, then again, maybe you do - sorry).

Do you get the beer ****s from bottled conditioned beers like SNPA or Bridgeport? Nope. When they filter, they get out the long complex sugars; then add dextrose (or DME or wort) and then more yeast.

I think the sugar is the culprit. My girlfriend can't drink my homebrew lately, because she gets an upset stomach. Problem is, she can't drink regular beers now. Someone suggested Beano. She ended up calling Beano and they told her it was the sugars and that their product will help with this, and that it's very common with homebrew beers! In fact, that after one gets it with homebrew, they usually get it with regular beers too.

Tell your friend to suck it up, stop being a chick, and slip him a beano before he comes over (tell him it's a roofie) :)

For those of you who ended up with ''mud butt"-Which yeast was in the beer?The only brew that made me camp on the crapper like that was fermented with notty.

I've read that some young beers might cause gas or runs in some people due to the yeasts.

If several people go the runs, then I suspect a food might be a more likely culprit.

Yes, the Haus Pale ale calls for Notty... Anyway, everyone came over, got trashed and had a great time.. Nobody reported getting the runs.. not even my two friends that said they did from the taste testing!!!

The party was a total success! except that I am out of homebrew.

Back