Got some 25 year old beer steins, wondering about the paint

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deviousalex

Reaction score
I got some ~25 year old beer steins (one from the Hofbrau house complete with a lid and one unidentified chalice) and I was wondering if the paint may contain lead. Does anyone know anything about this?

You can buy lead detecting kits at Lowes or Home Depot, or probably any hardware store. I dont think they are all that expensive either.

lead based paint was banned in '77 so if they are 25 yr old and us made, chances are they do not have lead in the paint

:DThey definetly contain lead. Box them up and send them to me. I will dispose of them properly!

Even if they did have lead, it's most likely a kiln glaze. It won't leach out into a liquid. The only problem would be if you eat chips. It's really not much of a threat if there is even one.

Stuff comming out of China TODAY has lead paint on it. If you really want to know get a test kit in the paint section at home depot/lowes. The reason they are so expensive is because of the new EPA mandate for renovations, and there is only one test kit on the market which the EPA recognizes.

Back