Got new keggle and have question about draining

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockytoptim

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up a keggle at my LHBS (adventures in homebrewing) and will be using this as a boil kettle. I use hop pellets and and I am wondering if I need to put a screen on the inside dip tube or will hop clog the ball valve without screen? In the past when i was using a 5 gal pot I just dumped straight from brew pot to primary (bucket).

I put my hop additions in grain bags and for the most part can drain without my ball valve getting plugged up. There are other methods as well, bazooka screen or hop bag, but you will plug up your valve without something to contain the pellet debris.

I picked up a keggle at my LHBS (adventures in homebrewing) and will be using this as a boil kettle. I use hop pellets and and I am wondering if I need to put a screen on the inside dip tube or will hop clog the ball valve without screen? In the past when i was using a 5 gal pot I just dumped straight from brew pot to primary (bucket).

I think there is almost a 100% chance that it will clog using pellet hops without using a hop strainer or some sort of Hop screen. I purchased a Hop Stopper. Hop Stopper - By Innovative Homebrew Solutions.

Bobby M made a video of how to DIY your own "Hop Stopper" type Hop Filter. See the video below.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypBIcRE2cV8&feature=channel_page]YouTube - DIY Kettle Hop Filter - Brewing with Bobby M[/ame]

Back