got anything for a cold/sinus infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GranillaNutz

Reaction score
so far i've got my great grandmothers cure all recipe which includes coffee (caffine to help the blood flow), irish creme, whiskey (liquor to help the pain in the chest), lemon juice, tobasco (to help open up the sinuses), and honey (as the antibiotic). Ed Wort's Grog looks like it might help. got any others, cuz i feel like dookie. i don't like taking prescription stuff. i allways end up with some bad reaction to it and they tend to make me feel worse than just riding out the cold.

so far i've got my great grandmothers cure all recipe which includes coffee (caffine to help the blood flow), irish creme, whiskey (liquor to help the pain in the chest), lemon juice, tobasco (to help open up the sinuses), and honey (as the antibiotic). Ed Wort's Grog looks like it might help. got any others, cuz i feel like dookie. i don't like taking prescription stuff. i allways end up with some bad reaction to it and they tend to make me feel worse than just riding out the cold.

I like to put a double shot of whiskey in a coffee cup drop two menthol cough drops in and pour coffee over the top, drink it slow and then suck on the remaining cough drops. Then I use saline nose spray to irrigate my nasal membranes.

I don't have a recipe to help your sinuses, but what I find really helpful is a neti pot. It's a little plastic pot with a narrow tip that fits in your nostril, which you use to flush your nasal passages with luke-warm saline solution. Works great, and since it's non-medicinal, you can repeat it as needed. Any drugstore will have them.

Pouring water through your nose feels really awkward at first...like water-boarding lite! You'll quickly get used to it though.

Bratwurst or spicy Italian sausage, grilled is best, but boiled will do; with freshly chopped (raw) onions & plenty of chinese HOT mustard on top. Put it on a bun & munch it down. Wash it down with whatever you like. It's mostly the horseradish in the mustard that gives you a good, clearing blast to the sinuses, and the onions help, especially if you use purple onions instead of sweet. Finish up with a hot cup of chammomile tea with a shot of brandy or whiskey, a spoonful of lemon & 2 spoons of honey. Regards, GF.

2 oz of good, strong rum - Jamaican is best, so I'm told :p - mixed with the juice of 1 lemon and 2 teaspoons of sugar. Down the hatch, always works! :p Recipe is from a Jamaican buddy of mine, supposedly that is the cold cure there?

Although you are probably feeling better now.... I used to drink Sothern Comfort (either straight or mixed with oj when I really felt like crap), wrap myself in an electric blanket, turn the heat up, and sweat out as much as I could. Got rid of the sniffles in one night every time. Pills always freak me out too. Took me til I was about 24 before I willingly took a damn aspirin!

LOL...I like the part where you say you don't like taking "prescription stuff"...but you'll take OUR advice???

The funny thing is I'm not sick, but I'm thinking about trying all of those recommendations just for fun!!! :D

Sorry about your condition...get druck and sleep it off is the best I can offer...;):drunk:

I don't have a recipe to help your sinuses, but what I find really helpful is a neti pot. It's a little plastic pot with a narrow tip that fits in your nostril, which you use to flush your nasal passages with luke-warm saline solution. Works great, and since it's non-medicinal, you can repeat it as needed. Any drugstore will have them.

Pouring water through your nose feels really awkward at first...like water-boarding lite! You'll quickly get used to it though.

Get the bottle it is way easier to use. (I have used both) Neilmed makes a bottle with rinse packs. (they sell at walgreens)

Get the bottle it is way easier to use. (I have used both) Neilmed makes a bottle with rinse packs. (they sell at walgreens)

+1...The nasal rinse bulb is much better at irrigating your upper ethmoid and frontal sinuses than the neti pot. Just be sure to lean forward when you irrigate.

This is coming from a guy who has had four sinus surgeries. ;)

Cold Easers will stop a cold..High in zinc which is needed for cell repair...
If you ever feel yourself getting sick, wash your face and hands and suck on a Cold Easer...
You wake up the next day and are usually not sick...good stuff...

I have no trouble with the pot, once I was aware of how it would feel, it became very easy and the saline just flows through. The first time, it reminded me of when I was a kid, jumping in the pool and getting a snoot-ful of water!

I have no trouble with the pot, once I was aware of how it would feel, it became very easy and the saline just flows through. The first time, it reminded me of when I was a kid, jumping in the pool and getting a snoot-ful of water!

Yeah it must be my deviated septum from fighting, that forces me to use the slight + pressure that the bottle gives. You guys should try sinusgeni and sinus buster products.

They have a capsaisin product that works great on headaches. They have great neti salts infused with spearmint and ecalyptus.
Sinus Buster Pepper Capsaicin Headache Nasal Spray Works Fast To Relieve Head Pain, Sinus, & Allergy Symptoms

+1...The nasal rinse bulb is much better at irrigating your upper ethmoid and frontal sinuses than the neti pot. Just be sure to lean forward when you irrigate.

This is coming from a guy who has had four sinus surgeries. ;)

This is what I was talking about
http://www.neilmed.com/usa/products.php

LOL...I like the part where you say you don't like taking "prescription stuff"...but you'll take OUR advice???

The funny thing is I'm not sick, but I'm thinking about trying all of those recommendations just for fun!!!

Sorry about your condition...get druck and sleep it off is the best I can offer...
well most doctors i've went to have asked "so what medications are u taking now" i tell them none... they say "well that's your problem right there, give me all your money and you'll feel better i promise"
so i gave them all my money and i still feel like crap... there like television evangelists. i'll take the "get druck and sleep it off" before i take some crap from some know it all brat kid, who's parents had the money to send him to med school. i think that the people who made alot of money from the things they have done right, probably died before they could enjoy that money...
well, all in all, i think i'm over my sinus infection/cold... but i think i'm still drunk? do i really want to remedy that?

Here are a couple tidbits:

Most colds are viruses. Antibiotics are useless against them.

In general, alcohol decreases the body's immune response, prolonging a cold. Small amounts (like in Niquil) are no big deal.

Cold Eaze, like Zicam, is really just a delivery system for ions (zinc gluconate happens to be a convenient and non-lethal form) that are opposite in their charge to the attachment sites on viruses (the sites the viruses use to attach onto your cells). So, you swallow the ionic zinc, which "collects" cold viruses, and you swallow them, preventing the virus from infecting your upper respiratory system.

Zinc tastes disgusting by itself and up until the mid 90's (I think), no one was able to come up with a method of making it palatable without negating its ionic charge (i.e., sweeteners). The makers of Cold Eaze finally did that and had a patent on their formula for some time. They tested it and it worked and they published their results in a scientific journal. For a while there, while Cold Eaze still had their patent, everybody and their brother came out with "Zinc Losenges" that were completely ineffective because it wasn't ionic zinc. Cold Eaze's patent has since run out and you can now buy generic Cold Eaze.

The only problem with Cold Eaze is that you have to take it VERY early in a cold for it to be effective... like at the first signs of a sore throat. Once the viruses multiply and take over, taking Cold Eaze is like shooting at a swarm of bees with a .22.

The best thing to do at that point is to eat healthy, drink lots of fluids, treat the symptoms, and get lots of rest. I know it's cliche, but the first person to find an actual cure for the common cold will be a rich man (or woman!).

Hot whiskeys.
Heat a glass, spike a half a lemon slice with cloves, add a shot of whiskey and honey to taste to a whiskey glass. Fill with boiling water poured over lemon slice.
This will put hair on your chest, drink it over a day, like lots of them, next day you'll be cold free.

Irish cold remedy, never fails.

Chew a chunk of raw ginger or slurp a slug of horseradish to open the sinus. And then flush them out with a neti pot (minus the curry) or the NeilMed bottle.

Personally, I dunno how I managed before the NeilMed bottle.

Had a cold over the weekend and tried this: Brew up some SPICY vietnamese soup paste, throw in some celery and pineapple and possibly meat/tofu if you want a bit of a meal.

Nose was running like all hell and the stuff tasted great. I'm still sick but at least I had fun trying.

thanx for all the good remedies. i allways have bad reactions to over the counter and pharmaceutical drugs... i can't take benedryl or sudefed or really just bout anything... stuff like nyquil has an opposite affect on me. one shot of that stuff and i'll be up for 2 days. i usually throw up any antibiotics within an hour of taking them. so i actually have to resort to home remedies (they seem to work the best). keep em coming.

Echinacea works wonders to drastically reduce the length and strength of any cold if you take it as soon as the first symptoms appear.

I know it sounds like new age Peta crap but it really works, i was very skeptic before trying it but it aint bull****.

alcohol isn't gonna do your immune system any good, but you could rinse your throat with whiskey shots and then spit it out, but that would be such a waste, rinsing your throat with warm and salty water helps to kill the nasties faster.

Echinacea works wonders to drastically reduce the length and strength of any cold if you take it as soon as the first symptoms appear.

Several double-blind placebo studies have shown otherwise, i.e., no statistical difference between echinacea and the placebo. At least one even showed those who took echinacea to have a more severe/prolonged cold.

Several double-blind placebo studies have shown otherwise, i.e., no statistical difference between echinacea and the placebo. At least one even showed those who took echinacea to have a more severe/prolonged cold.

I do not think any studies could beat the credibility of first hand experience, and being 42, i have had many colds in my life, and since im using this, the cold and it's symptoms are so much less, i don't care if it's placebo or not, it just bloody works for me and im sticking to it.

+ studies can also be biased by leading pharmaceutical corporates, after all, our illness is their holy cash flow... and money doesn't grow on trees.

+ at least it aint no chemical shiat that always give you multiple side effects that are sometimes even worse than the condition youre trying to treat, IMO traditional medicine has never been really effective, all they freakin do is load you with antibiotics for just about anything, traditional medicine sucks like words cannot describe.

+1 on this. I am suffering horribly right now. This thing really clears the passages out.

+2 on the neti pot. I have pretty bad seasonal allergies, and it's amazing how much gunk I can wash out of my sinuses with one of these. Also great for colds & sinus pressure, plus, you can do it as often as you like.

studies can also be biased by leading pharmaceutical corporates, after all, our illness is their holy cash flow... and money doesn't grow on trees.
+10 on that
damn the man
i'll take ancient cure-alls before i ever touch somthing a so called "doctor" recomends

+10 on that
damn the man
i'll take ancient cure-alls before i ever touch somthing a so called "doctor" recomends

Well, when the bio-chemical mechanism behind the so-called curative powers of echinacea is finally realized, I'll concede that it works.:rolleyes:

Herbal supplements could also be a giant scam, eh? No FDA regulation means a free-for-all for the companies that produce them. It's like the 19th century cure-all tonics.

Well, when the bio-chemical mechanism behind the so-called curative powers of echinacea is finally realized, I'll concede that it works.

Herbal supplements could also be a giant scam, eh? No FDA regulation means a free-for-all for the companies that produce them. It's like the 19th century cure-all tonics.

And I'll also concede traditional medicine and power corporate pharmaceuticals are not after our very soul the day they will be able to do something else than bomb every child with anti-biotics for just about everything they can catch and then charge us an arm and a leg to boot it off.

Who said FDA wasn't biased?
Of course healing simply using herb supplements cannot be true... after all, nature has no power and nothing but chemicals can cure the human body right?

To whom FDA works for anyways?
[ame=http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-JrHGCwWv8cc/victoria_principal_dont_let_the_fda_take_away_your_rights/]Victoria Principal: Don't Let the FDA Take Away Your Rights! - Video[/ame]

after all, nature has no power and nothing but chemicals can cure the human body right?

But for the purposes of this discussion, everything IS chemicals... even in nature. The difference is natural vs. synthetic. In some cases, the synthetic versions of chemicals for human consumption (e.g., flavorings) are actually safer because they can be made without the minute levels of potentially dangerous other chemicals and compounds (e.g., arsenic) that occur naturally.

Show me the chemicals or combination of chemicals in echinacea and how they affect human physiology and I'll believe that it works. Until that happens, we're going to continue to disagree. And I'm OK with that. No sense in taking this to the Debate Forum.:mug:

I agree pal, no need to make it into a debate, i think it all matters in what one trusts.

I personally do not trust in mega corporate pharmaceuticals thats it.

plus, i have seen a huge difference with, and without the use of echinacea when i get a cold, and i trust that it works because of it, i trust my own experience.

I cannot explain why it would work and how it affects the metabolism because im no scientist, and if i didn't notice any differences, i would too think it's just new age nonsense, but life has shown me otherwise and leaves me no choice but to believe it makes a huge difference.

I'll drink to that, to each their own. :mug:

Try this one. It did work for me:

1. Take a fresh onion
2. Peel off the skin
3. Cut the onion in 1/4 piece
4. Inhale the fresh cut onion
5. Do this 2-3 times a day

Take a beer, one or two teaspoons of honey and a few slices of ginger. Heat it all up on the hob and then drink it hot before going to bed.wrap yourself in blankets and sleep long.

Thai tom yum gai/kai (chicken) soup as spicy as you can handle it. Ask for a extra slice of fresh lime if it dont come with it.

Chinese hot and sour soup if you dont have any Thai restaurants nearby.

Simple chicken soup but add ginger root and galangal root if you can get it. Both are anti inflammatory.

Last edited:
Back