Got a Turkey Fryer for Christmas!! Now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooZer

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is going to be a two part question. I am doing extract brews. First of all, i got a turkey fryer for xmas with a stainless 30 qt pot. Im pumped!! I was getting crappy boils out of my kitchen stove. My 1st question is this, is it better to do full boils now that I have the ability or still do partials when do extract beers.

My 2nd question. I also got a wort chiller for Xmas (25' imersion). Since i will obviously be boiling outside with my Turkey fryer how would I use that? I dont have a drain in my garage and dont want to just let the water run out into the drive because it will freeze..(i live in cleveland). Will a 5 gallon pail be big enough to holder the water exiting the chiller?

Any help would be awesome!!!

since you have the chiller, yes, go to full boils. you'll actually use a little less hops now because a full boil gets better hop utilization.

you'll need more than 5 gallons to hold the spent water. I boil outside, but bring the pot indoors to chill and then drain into the fermenter. that way I just run the drain hose into the sink.

BrooZer said:
My 2nd question. I also got a wort chiller for Xmas (25' imersion). Since i will obviously be boiling outside with my Turkey fryer how would I use that? I dont have a drain in my garage and dont want to just let the water run out into the drive because it will freeze..(i live in cleveland). Will a 5 gallon pail be big enough to holder the water exiting the chiller?

Any help would be awesome!!!

In most cases...Nope...you could always consider chilling the water and recirculating once the 5 gallon pail gets near full.

malkore said:
since you have the chiller, yes, go to full boils. you'll actually use a little less hops now because a full boil gets better hop utilization.

you'll need more than 5 gallons to hold the spent water. I boil outside, but bring the pot indoors to chill and then drain into the fermenter. that way I just run the drain hose into the sink.

Thanks Malkore,

I was afraid that it would be hard to chill the wort outside. So i will just lug the pot into the kitchen and do everything in the sink. I will be looking into some software for the correct hops adjustment and will also start with more water because of evaporation.

How long does it generally take to chill a 5 gallon batch??

if you have a utility sink next to your washer run the excess water into the washer for a load of laundry

Yeah, try to do full wort boils as often as you can; you will get less carmelization/wort darkening with full wort boils. And, as pointed out, you will also use less hops. For cooling, put your chiller in for the last 15 minutes of the boil to sanitize. When it comes time to cool, bring it in the kitchen/slop sink for cooling. I have done that for about 5 years now and it works out well.

you should be able to cool it to 70-ish degrees within 30 minutes. the key is to almost constantly stir the wort gently so it cools evenly.

another tip is to get some cork hot pads/trivets. i got mine at bed bath & beyond for cheap. it'll keep your pot from burning the kitchen floor/table/wherever you set the brewpot down.

avidhomebrewer said:
For cooling, put your chiller in for the last 15 minutes of the boil to sanitize. When it comes time to cool, bring it in the kitchen/slop sink for cooling. I have done that for about 5 years now and it works out well.

Whoa! You carry a 5 1/2 gallon pot (with a worth chiller in it) of 200 degree wort from your turkey fryer to your kitchen?

Back