Got a Q for ya

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capa

Reaction score
I was at my local homebrew shop putting together a recipe which called for a certain amount of liquid extract. The guy who was helping me said that since it was an odd amount that i would be better off with one can of liquid, and then a bag of dried. I didn't really think about this till now, but do i have to do anything different with the powder extract? Should i just add it at the same time as the liquid? Also Im sure there is some sort of exchange rate when going from liquid to dried but i cant seem to find it in the books i have. Any help would be very appreciated.

If I remeber correctly 1lbs of dry = 1.2lbs of liquid. You dont have to do anything different with the DME except maybe stir for a bit longer because them clumps you can get when the DME comes in contact with the steam are tough buggers.

BTW no matter how good them clumps look DO NOT eat them off the spoon . . . They need to cool off a bit :rolleyes:

I have been using a mix of dry and liquid for every batch. One thing that I would say is that when you add it, make sure that your heat source is off. Fully mix the DME and LME in before you start the heat up again. This will help avoid scorching.

This excerpt is from John Palmer's How To Brew:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A rule of thumb is one pound of liquid extract per gallon of water for a light bodied beer. One and a half pounds per gallon produces a richer, full bodied beer. A pound of LME typically yields a gravity of 1.034 - 38, as measured by a hydrometer, when dissolved in one gallon of water. DME yields about 1.040 - 43. These yield values are referred to as Points per Pound per Gallon. If someone tells you that a certain extract or malt's yield is 36 points, it means that when 1 pound is dissolved into 1 gallon of water, the gravity is 1.036. If that 1 pound is dissolved into 3 gallons, its gravity would be 36/3 = 12 or 1.012. The gravity is how the strength of a beer is described. Most commercial beers have an Original Gravity (OG) of 1.035 - 1.050.[/FONT]

awesome, thanks a lot guys...cant wait to brew tomorrow

I use
#s of DME x 1.182557 = #s of LME
#s of LME x 0.845625 = #s of DME

And I've used the hot sweet wort to rinse out the clumped up DME bag and the LME container. It is a lot less painful than the tongue.

Wild

Latest posts

Back