Got a new brew idea...but a few questions (sweetening/changing ABV)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990dtgl98

Reaction score
So I'm thinking of doing a ale with a blueberry or maple syrup (not sure which yet) note to it.

But I had a few questions:

If I added either the blueberries or maple syrup to the secondary, wouldn't that increase the ABV since there's still plenty of sugar in both to ferment? How would I get a good strong taste without changing the ABV too much or using extracts (which I don't like)?

Additionally, how would I get a "sweet" tasting beer?

I ask becuase I want to get my fiance into brewing, and the beers she really likes are sweet style fruit beers (think Sea Dog Blueberry). Now, how would I get a beer to be sweeter and/or have a higher ABV without making some bottles explode when bottling? I mean I could add fresh blueberries to the secondary, but I'd have to let them ferment the sugars out...so how would I still make it taste sweet?

I would assume adding more malt extract in the boil would raise OG, and thus would increase the ABV, but are there any other ways? I'm worried about changing the flavor too much.

As far as sweetening a beer, I know lactose can be used, but I didn't want that particular taste in an ale...so are there any other alternatives?

Thanks guys! It's been a long double shift, so pardon any redundancy.

I'm sure that they have fermentable sugars in them, but you can take that into account when you brew and not make it so high to begin with.

I've heard people use splenda to sweeten a beer, and I believe that it can not be fermented, so it will not raise to ABV.

Of course you could just ease up on the hops and go that route.

Lactose will be more of a mouthfeel than flavor changer, however you might consider the stevia route. no splenda or other aftertaste, but like those, a little goes a long way.
Add your blueberries in the secondary, let it finish up, rack off a quart and sprinkle in one packet of stevia (tiny - coffee cup sized!). let it sit for a day or two (fridge, sanitary) and carefully pull off a sample. If you keep it all clean and sanitary, you can add that quart back to the batch when bottling. Adjust your sample to taste, then do the math - apply your preferred sweetness to the whole thing at bottling time.

Wouldn't allowing for a higher FG give a sweeter tasting beer without having to add extra stuff?

Wouldn't allowing for a higher FG give a sweeter tasting beer without having to add extra stuff?

yes, if the yeast cooperate with you. But if you give them more sugar (blueberries) they'll likely keep on eating.

I have had beers where my choice of yeast was less than optimal, the FG finished a bit high, and yes, I could detect a sweetness. (I now keep a packet of dry champagne yeast handy for this purpose).

Lactose will be more of a mouthfeel than flavor changer, however you might consider the stevia route. no splenda or other aftertaste, but like those, a little goes a long way.
Add your blueberries in the secondary, let it finish up, rack off a quart and sprinkle in one packet of stevia (tiny - coffee cup sized!). let it sit for a day or two (fridge, sanitary) and carefully pull off a sample. If you keep it all clean and sanitary, you can add that quart back to the batch when bottling. Adjust your sample to taste, then do the math - apply your preferred sweetness to the whole thing at bottling time.

Stevia is also non-fermentable? I knew about splenda...but I hate the taste, so I don't think I could bear to add it to my beer. I never tried stevia so I might have to if thats the only way.

Lactose, from what I understand is only good with "thicker" beers because it adds some sweetness but also gives you a mouthfeel, which wouldn't be good for a wheat beer.

yes, if the yeast cooperate with you. But if you give them more sugar (blueberries) they'll likely keep on eating.

I have had beers where my choice of yeast was less than optimal, the FG finished a bit high, and yes, I could detect a sweetness. (I now keep a packet of dry champagne yeast handy for this purpose).

Thats the thing. I understand adding blueberries will up the ABV, thanks to reading around on this forum, but how can I do that but keep some sweetness to please the significant other? Is artificial sweeteners the only way to do that?

but wouldn't you be able to accomplish a higher FG (and thus sweeter beer) without having to worry about the yeast by using some grains and doing a higher mash temperature?

I would just ease up on the hops and try to get the FG to be a little on the high side. Try to use a low attenuating yeast.

For a blueberry beer, your best bet is a puree. I really like Oregon Fruit purees. Your best approach is to brew the beer and add the puree to the secondary. You can back-sweeten in the priming bucket, but do it before adding the priming sugar. An alternative to back-sweetening is to drizzle a little blueberry syrup around the rim of the glass before pouring the beer.

Forget maple, it's nasty once the sugar ferments out.

Back