Got a Boston Pork Butt, help me out here please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have been smoking Fish and Jerky for years but I am jumping into the world of cooking in my smoker. I was reading through some of these SMOKING threads the other night and MAN did it catch my attention. I have never in my life cooked a Bork Butt and I now have a good ol' Boston Bork Butt sitting on the counter, I have a good smoker that I can play with the temps, I have Alder, Hickory, Apple and Cherry wood on hand, and a bunch of time! What is your guys recipes? Time? Temps? Wood? how much Wood? Seasonings? Help me out guys..

Is there a "recipe" guide I didn't find for other stuff as well?

Cheers
Jay

I would rock it at 250 with Apple or cherry wood, and it's about an hour per lb maybe a little more. I do not cook to a specific internal temperature, I only use that as a guide to when I start probing with the icepick. Only when it probes like a knife in room temperature butter in several places including the thickest spot, then it's done. The bone should fall right out too... Plan your cook so you have flexibility with times, it could sit at the stall (160 internal) for up to three hours before it starts to go back up again. I use random commercial rubs that aren't too sweet and I inject with Cajun butter. That's what works for me

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Oh yea how much wood... I use three fist sized chunks at the beginning of my smoke, after they are done, that's it, charcoal only. We do not like a huge smoke flavor in our house...

I just did 2 5.5lb pork shoulders yesterday. An hour per pound is a pretty good starting point. I try to keep the temp between 200-250F. If things start getting too dark or crispy, I usually wrap it in foil.

As far as seasonings go, I just use kosher salt, black pepper, brown sugar and paprika. This past time I brined them and injected them with more brine. Very good.

I have smoked quite a few Boston butts, and I agree with the guys above regarding time and temperature. I use a lot of apple and hickory for butts, briskets, and the like. Find a rub you like, or make your own (I do). I usually apply rub the night before, and add a little fresh rub before smoking. A couple of things... Keep your water pan full, and try injecting plain old apple juice just like the pro's do.

At 250-275*F I get about 1.5 hrs per lb but probe tender is the key. Any skewer will do.

I slather with oil and then apply the rub to help it stick better. Some folks use mustard.

I also don't use a lot of smoke to avoid the ashtray effect. I wait until the fire is burning clean and put on the meat then use one chunk at a time for three chunks.

Jay - always keep your smoke clean and light! I usually smoke my butts about 225-250 and figure one hour to 1.5 per pound. Cook to temperature, not time! It will be done when it wants to be. If you want to speed up the cooking process you can wrap the butt in foil when it hits 165 internal. I usually put a little bourbon and apple juice in with it for moisture. When the internal temp of the butt is 195-205 it is done. Wrap it in foil, then put it in an old cooler lined with towels for a couple of hours - this rest is magical for keeping the meat juicy! When you're ready to pull the meat the bone should just slide right out. The most important thing is to make sure and have a few of your favorite beers while the smoker is running. Always. :mug:

Great advice guys! Thanks a bunch! So keep water in the water bowl the entire time? Yes-No? I am shooting for Sunday Evening Pulled Pork so I will get this started EARLY so I can let it rest a couple of hours like you guys said. So as far as smoke I am thinking just 1 full bowl of 1/2 apple and 1/2 hickory chips...like maybe 1 measured cup each? Thoughts?

I just made my first rub for this adventure. I used salt, pepper, cumin, brown sugar, Paprika and garlic. I will rub this on the Butt the night before.

I cant wait! I'm getting hungry!

Cheers
Jay

What kind of smoker do you have? That will be helpful as far as water bowl/wood quantity.

Nothing wrong with that cooker! I say the cook has as much effect on the final outcome as the cooker does. If I was you, I would fill the water pan and leave it be. Not only will it leave a little moisture in the air, it will act as a heat sink and absorb temperature swings. Since your heat in the smoker is actually provided by gas, I would keep adding wood through the whole cook. What I did with my electric smoker was to add a small handful (about 3/4 cup) of wood to the pan every hour or so. Don't soak your chips!!!! If you plan on wrapping your meat (haha that sounds wrong) you don't have to keep the smoke rolling while it is wrapped. That is up to you. I'm a newb to brewing so I might as well try to earn my keep here with what I do know! :)

IMG-20130207-00647.jpg

IMG-20130209-00652.jpg

IMG-20130210-00658.jpg

I prep mine by rubbing them down with good old yellow mustard(will help the rub stick w/o affecting flavor), apply rub, smoke between 200-240 to and internal temp of 190. Use a spray bottle ever hour or two and sprits it with a 1:1 Capt Morgan and apple cider vinegar.
Once IT has been reached I wrap it in foil and place it in a cooler to rest for a couple hours, remove from cooler, pull/tear meat, sprits with concoction, fold and serve.

As far as wood goes, I almost exclusively use hickory. However, pork does well with most woods. The fruit tree wood may give it a slight sweetness. Personally, I don't care for sweet meat.
Given what you said you have I'd use mostly hickory with a little apple here and there, but I'd use it sparingly.

Nothing wrong with that cooker! I say the cook has as much effect on the final outcome as the cooker does. If I was you, I would fill the water pan and leave it be. Not only will it leave a little moisture in the air, it will act as a heat sink and absorb temperature swings. Since your heat in the smoker is actually provided by gas, I would keep adding wood through the whole cook. What I did with my electric smoker was to add a small handful (about 3/4 cup) of wood to the pan every hour or so. Don't soak your chips!!!! If you plan on wrapping your meat (haha that sounds wrong) you don't have to keep the smoke rolling while it is wrapped. That is up to you. I'm a newb to brewing so I might as well try to earn my keep here with what I do know! :)

Man that looks good! I wont soak the chips. I do want them to smoke!

I am excited to do this! I think the 2+ hours rest is going to be key! I have read that here many times in many threads and I wont even think about skipping this step!

You guys rock!

If you didn't know, I am offering free shipping for the rest of the month in the store for HBT members. So if you need something, hit me up I would love to pay it forward!

I seriously cannot wait to fire up this BUTT!

Cheers
Jay

I haven't tried it yet, but the guys over at smokingmeatforum all swear by this:

http://www.amazenproducts.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=AMNPS5X8

Consistent thin blue smoke is the hardest thing for me to get on my cooker (vertical propane cooker just like yours, from Masterbuilt). I've been wanting to get one of these to solve that problem for a while. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be receiving one of these for Father's Day, though...

I haven't tried it yet, but the guys over at smokingmeatforum all swear by this:

http://www.amazenproducts.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=AMNPS5X8

Consistent thin blue smoke is the hardest thing for me to get on my cooker (vertical propane cooker just like yours, from Masterbuilt). I've been wanting to get one of these to solve that problem for a while. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be receiving one of these for Father's Day, though...
Whats the thought behind that thing? I mean how does that work?

Jay

A few random responses:

I usually brine pork if I have time (anywhere from a few hours up to three days), but it isn't essential. I make the brine with sea salt, brown sugar, cracked peppercorns and smashed garlic cloves.

When I use a dry rub I pat the meat thoroughly dry with paper towels, scrub the rub into it liberally, then slap a layer of oil over that. Much easier than trying to spread a dry rub evenly over a slippery hunk of oiled meat....

I soak my wood, whether it be chunks or chips. I want it to smoke, not burn up. But you don't need to see smoke for the entire cooking time; the wood will keep flavoring long after the smoke stops being visible.

I also let the surface of the meat warm up before starting the smoke; it seems to keep bitter-tasting components of the smoke (like creosote maybe?) from condensing on it. But by warm I mean 'warm,' not 'after it starts really cooking.'

I've never tried mustard on Boston butt or a pork shoulder. But it works surprisingly well on beef brisket, and I see no reason why it wouldn't be good on pork too.

I'm addicted to mesquite and ironwood; I use it for smoking just about anything. But pork does well with smoke from citrus trees, plum and apricot trees, and probably any other fruit trees....

If you're using a smoker with a decent-sized water pan (like a Brinkmann), cut some veggies into good-sized chunks and add them to the pan: potatoes with skin on, onions, bell peppers or pasilla chiles, carrots, celery, garlic, etc; maybe even whole mushrooms. The steam from the veggies will help flavor the pork, and the meat drippings will certainly flavor the veggies.

Sometimes when I'm smoking pork I'll pull the pan of water and veggies when the meat is done, set it on a burner, thicken it with some flour roux to make gravy, adjust the seasonings, and slice the pork right into the pan.

The pan goes into the middle of the table as a serving dish with a ladle, a fork and a set of tongs in it. Uncouth? Probably, but no one has ever complained....:)

I always rub meat with a bunch of cheap yellow mustard before applying the rub. You don't taste the mustard when it's done.

For pork, I love a rub full of chili powder.

Low and slow is the name of the game. 225-250F. You'll know it's done when the bone slips right out. A 5# bone-in Boston butt stays on for about 10 hours. Cook to 195F, but if that bone doesn't pull right out, cook longer.

Smoke in the first hour or two, don't bother after that. The meat takes the smoke early, when it's cold and the bark hasn't started to form.

I never soak wood chips (I use large chunks). The wood goes right on the coals. I cook over coal, never used gas.

Whats the thought behind that thing? I mean how does that work?

In any propane or electric smoker, you have a heat source which needs to get your wood smoldering and producing the beautiful thin blue smoke that we all crave. Generally there's a chip pan or tray.

With my Masterbuilt propane smoker, I find it's a constant battle to get the wood smoldering and to keep it from igniting outright and producing that nasty thick white smoke that makes your food taste foul. I pretty much end up babysitting the smoker, with a spray bottle full of water handy, in case I need to knock out the flame on the wood.

The concept behind this is that it stays far enough away from the heat source inside the smoker that it's not relying on that heat to keep producing smoke. You light this separate from the main fire/electric heat source, and it just produces a nice slow burn of thin blue smoke for as many hours as you need.

In any propane or electric smoker, you have a heat source which needs to get your wood smoldering and producing the beautiful thin blue smoke that we all crave. Generally there's a chip pan or tray.

With my Masterbuilt propane smoker, I find it's a constant battle to get the wood smoldering and to keep it from igniting outright and producing that nasty thick white smoke that makes your food taste foul. I pretty much end up babysitting the smoker, with a spray bottle full of water handy, in case I need to knock out the flame on the wood.

The concept behind this is that it stays far enough away from the heat source inside the smoker that it's not relying on that heat to keep producing smoke. You light this separate from the main fire/electric heat source, and it just produces a nice slow burn of thin blue smoke for as many hours as you need.

I don't want to go off topic/detract from the OP's question but I have found with my smoker that if I wait until it has heated up after putting the meat on (5-10 minutes) before putting on a small handful of wood I don't have any fires. That way there isn't a large amount of oxygen left in the chamber. Once that is out, it is hard for the wood to start on fire.

I use a dry rub, I let it sit on the counter for a good hour (I am really paranoid about raw meat sitting out though) and I put it on my grill which has a side smoker box. 250 and it is about an hour per pound give or take. I leave a tin of water then I have apple wood and then I leave another tin of apple juice if I remember to buy it. The tins of liquid are offset, the wood is in the smoker box. Depending upon size, I did a 4 lb and it was about 6 hours but did a 7 in about 9 hours, it is done. It should literally fall off the bone as people have said.

I don't inject it with anything. I love the taste of pork and if cooked right, it will be moist and tender.

Mine is a charcoal smoker and does not need a water pan, everything stays very moist.

I pull out the butts and then go get the smoker running. Come back in, rinse/pat down the butts. Spread the plain yellow mustard on (gives it the great bark), then spread on my rub (home recipe, lots of chili powders in it for pork).

I don't soak the wood chunks, gives off some stuff you don't really want. As others have said, you only need enough to get you through the first 2-3 hrs of the smoke. Though it does smell good to have it going the whole time, it's not necessary. I also primarily use apple wood, as I primarily smoke pork and chicken. Anything heavier and it gets a bit over bearing on those two, but stands up fine to beef.

I cook it to temp, not to time (learned this the hard way). I start way earlier than I need it done by, in case I get the dreaded stall. I smoke at 230*. Cook till I hit a minimum of 190, usually 195.

Pull off and wrap in foil, usually a double wrap, then into the cooler. It sits there until I'm ready to serve it up. 4+ hrs later and it'll still be steaming when you take it out. You can then glove up and pull apart with your hands, or use one of these bad boys and be done in 15 sec: Pork Puller

I have also taken to making baked beans when doing butts. Get a disposable foil pan, fry up some bacon, then sautee onions and peppers in the bacon fat. Mix a couple of different beans, chopped up bacon, sauteed veggies, healthy dose of bourbon, mustard, brown sugar. put that directly beneath your butts for the last couple of hrs. Will warm them up and soak up the fat renderings. That dish gets licked clean.

Last edited by a moderator:
My god there is some KILLER cooking information on this Forum! Goodness I need to get out a little!

So how long is too long to leave a dry rub on the meat before firing up the smoker?

Cheers
Jay

My god there is some KILLER cooking information on this Forum! Goodness I need to get out a little!

So how long is too long to leave a dry rub on the meat before firing up the smoker?

Cheers
Jay
I don't think there is such a thing as leaving a dry rub on too long, as long as you don't leave it until the meat goes bad...

I don't think there is such a thing as leaving a dry rub on too long, as long as you don't leave it until the meat goes bad...

Gotcha! I was thinking dry rub the Butt on Friday evening and put on smoke Sunday Morning. I made a simple Vinegar spray to mist the Butt a few times throughout the day. Its
Apple Cider Vinegar
water
Brown Sugar
Honey
Cayenne Pepper
Black Pepper
Crushed Red Pepper
I have been letting this blend since yesterday and will strain and add to a spray bottle for some "Mid Day Spraying"

Thanks for all the great advise you guys! Wish me luck!

Cheers
Jay

I got my smoker (WSM charcoal) this fall/winter and have smoked a few butts as per what is reccomended on amazingribs.com. Used his rub and smoke at 225 or so until the pork hits 195 to 203 using Hickory. My smokes can take 12-14 hours or more depending on how stubborn the meat is. I leave the water pan empty and have no temp or moisture problems though it does stall for quite some time. At that point the meat shreds with little to no effort at all and everyone has loved it.

The Butt is a forgiving cut of meat. Just give yourself some time for it to cook and do what it has to do and then throw it in a slow cooker to keep warm once it is done (or throw in a cooler to maintain temp) and you should be fine. I hope the party and your first smoke is a success. Additionally. Do not sauce the meat prior to serving. I find that it is always better if people can sauce their own meat. Besides, well smoked, tender pulled pork really does not need a sauce.

Gotcha! I was thinking dry rub the Butt on Friday evening and put on smoke Sunday Morning. I made a simple Vinegar spray to mist the Butt a few times throughout the day. Its
Apple Cider Vinegar
water
Brown Sugar
Honey
Cayenne Pepper
Black Pepper
Crushed Red Pepper
I have been letting this blend since yesterday and will strain and add to a spray bottle for some "Mid Day Spraying"

Thanks for all the great advise you guys! Wish me luck!

Cheers
Jay

If you can brew a good beer, you can surely knock out a killer pork butt! Don't forget to post pictures and let us know how it went!

Gotcha! Fat side up.

KEEP THE DAMN SMOKER SHUT! :D:D

Advise I will totally take!

:mug:

Jay

I gotta be honest -- I'm a fat-side down person. With fat side up, a bunch of oil/juice is going to run down the sides of the meat and take away some of the seasoning.

However, this is ALWAYS being debated, especially with briskets (I cook fat-side up).

I think you'll be pleased either way. Finally, you won't really need for the seasoning to sit for more than a few minutes. Why, you ask? Because the pork is going to be chopped up and mixed throughout. I think you'll find that the majority of the seasoning is trapped in the bark once you've cooked the butt. Therefore, there's really no need to go more than maybe overnight with the seasoning. I actually season my butts maybe 1-2 hours before cooking and toss em back in the fridge.

I say buy her a gym membership, or trade her in for a different Bostonian if that's not your cup of tea.

Edit: uh...I guess you have to read more then the thread title these days....

Couple things to remember:

1. Put the butt in fat cap up. That way as the fat breaks down it keeps the meat moist.
2. If you're lookin' you ain't cookin'!

I agree about the lookin. I say the same thing. I'll disagree about the fat cap on a pork butt. I keep it down to protect the bottom of the piece. Besides, pork butt is so crazy fatty anyway, no need for juice.

With lean meat like brisket, I'd go with the fat up.

If you don't want to worry about timing it perfect, I have had good success with smoking ahead of time when I want to bring it to a gathering. I'll shred it and put it in a 13 x 9 pan. You can throw that on the grill and use your apple juice/vinegar solution or some sauce to keep it moist while it heats up.

Your rub looks great. I like to split brown sugar and paprika 50/50 for the base and then add small portions of whatever seasoning you desire sort of like base grains and specialty grains.

Butts are very forgiving cut of meat. I normally run them about 275 and go as high as 300. I also inject them using a brine.
2 quarts water
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup sugar

You can add fruit juices to this as well. Peach, apple, and pineapple have been used. Don't use fresh pineapple juice.

Cook to 195 - 200. I wrap at about 165 or 170 depending on the color. You can use 4 fist sized chunks of wood. No need to soak.

As others have said let sit in a cooler wrapped in towels. Make sure not to use the SWMBO's good towels as they will smell like pork butts and if you have a leaker you will be in trouble.

Below is a pork contest entry from last year. We compete in KCBS competitions.

Mark

WP_20130608_003.jpg

Butts are very forgiving cut of meat. I normally run them about 275 and go as high as 300. I also inject them using a brine.
2 quarts water
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup sugar

You can add fruit juices to this as well. Peach, apple, and pineapple have been used. Don't use fresh pineapple juice.

Cook to 195 - 200. I wrap at about 165 or 170 depending on the color. You can use 4 fist sized chunks of wood. No need to soak.

As others have said let sit in a cooler wrapped in towels. Make sure not to use the SWMBO's good towels as they will smell like pork butts and if you have a leaker you will be in trouble.

Below is a pork contest entry from last year. We compete in KCBS competitions.

Mark

I agree. It's hard to screw up a Boston butt; just about anything you do to it will taste good.

For a bit of a change, you can cook it Puerto Rican style, using pernil asado recipes. Here's a post I made on boatdesign.net...
Finally got around to doing the Pernil Asado, Puerto Rican style (more or less).

First I ground these together in a mortar and pestle:

Sicilian sea salt
Mexican dried oregano leaves
black peppercorns
roasted cumin
Spanish smoked paprika

Then I added( (a food processor would've been nice, but it was at the other house):

Minced garlic (lots of it)
minced capers
minced Spanish green olives with pimientos
minced brown onion
olive oil
white wine vinegar.

I cut and folded back the skin on a pork shoulder, stabbed it deeply all over with a knife, packed the slits with paste, and slathered the outside of the meat thoroughly on all sides.

After folding the skin back over the top of the shoulder, I covered it with paste too. Then I placed it in a roasting pan, poured about half a cup of the juice from the olive jar into the bottom, slapped the lid on, and stuck it in the fridge for about a day and a half.

On the morning I cooked the pork, I started by placing it in a 250 degree (120 C) oven for four hours. Then I bumped it up to 350 (175 C) for another two hours. According to one of the recipes I found online, I was then supposed to pull the bone, crank the heat up to 450 (230 C), and crisp the skin.

But since I had cut the skin on one side, folded it back as a flap to season the meat, then laid it loosely back over, it shrank while cooking and pulled to the uncut side. So I cut it loose on the other side and placed it on-center while I blasted away for a few minutes with the hot oven, so it would baste the meat.

The skin didn't crisp, but the bone pulled out the end in one piece when I was done. Mission accomplished, so I broke up the meat and placed it in a glass pan for serving. The meat didn't shred. Instead it came apart in chunks that were tender, but not mushy or coming apart.

I didn't try to get 'authentic' with the side dishes. In fact I wanted collard greens, but good luck finding those in a Southern California supermarket. So I went with mustard greens instead - flavored with bacon, onion, vinegar and a dash of cayenne hot sauce. I slow-simmered them until the pot liquor was a nectar of the Gods....

The other side dish could've been a main course. It was a a pot of black-eyed peas - also with bacon, onion and a little cayenne sauce, plus chopped bell pepper and celery. I was going to do the Hoppin' John thing and ladle them over rice, but I got lazy and just stirred the rice into the peas instead. May Hoyt forgive me for that sacrilege....:p

This dish was mostly a combination of what I learned from these two sites (although adding the smoked paprika was strictly my own idea), and I thank the two ladies for posting their recipes:

http://mystilettos.wordpress.com/2010/11/23/roasted-pork-pernil-asado-puerto-rican-style/

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/lifestyle/2013/04/23/pernil-asado-recipe-roasted-pork-shoulder/

add: I thought about thickening the juices in the bottom of the pan to make a gravy for the meat, but never got the chance because everyone just ladled them 'as is' over everything on their plates.

Also, the first picture was taken before the roast went into the refrigerator; the second was taken after it came out a day and a half later. Notice that the skin has already started shrinking, and pulling to the uncut side. I think maybe next time I'll leave the skin whole, and just stab right through it to make the slits for stuffing the paste into....

add: apparently, I can't copy and paste the pictures from boatdesign.net for some reason. It's worth going to my original post there for them, though....

Here's the URL; it was post #1900 on page 127: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/all-things-boats-and-boating/cooking-aboard-outdoors-40787-127.html

Going to get started early early early! So I think I am going to do this first one cap side down. Had a long conversation with a guy in the store today about it. He travels around with his crew and does BBQ contests I guess to hear him tell it he does fairly well. Anyway he was talking about the fat cap and what he does is starts the BUTT cap down for the first 4 hours or so then flips it. He said he wants to see most of the outside cure a little and the rub stay tight on the meat. The reason for the flip is so then when the fat does start to drip it is contained INSIDE the roast and will help break down the connective tissue. Hell what do I know..LOL But sounds reasonable to me. Wish me luck!

Thanks for all the advise you guys! I am learning a lot!
I am going to be doing a large pot of beans in there as well! Great idea...

Cheers
Jay

You're over thinking it. ;)

Why would fat miraculously drip from the cap inside the roast? That doesn't make any sense. Besides, there's already a ton of fat inside the roast.

In my opinion, it sounds great, but isn't true. But, I'm too lazy to actually experiment to prove it. Though, just think about it...

Regardless, good overall advice in this thread, and I'm sure you'll wind up with wonderful pulled pork!

You're over thinking it. ;)

Why would fat miraculously drip from the cap inside the roast? That doesn't make any sense. Besides, there's already a ton of fat inside the roast.

In my opinion, it sounds great, but isn't true. But, I'm too lazy to actually experiment to prove it. Though, just think about it...

Regardless, good overall advice in this thread, and I'm sure you'll wind up with wonderful pulled pork!

I'M JUST REALLY EXCITED TO GET STARTED!!!!LMAO!!!!

Cheers
Jay

Back