google calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdbeer

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this out? Very cool:

- Do I have enough bottles for my 5 gallon batch? Google:

18*12 fl oz+6*22 fl oz+12*500ml in gal

Dammit, need more bottles.

- What is the capacity of my "30 qt" Bayou Classic pot? Google:

39cm*(29cm/2)^2*pi in quarts

Hmm... 27 quarts.

Dirk

You know what, that is very cool. I tried a couple myself:

1 dollar = ? pesos (answer 10.9782 Mexican pesos).
1 barrel = ? pints ( answer 1 barrel = 248 US pints)

desertBrew said:
1 barrel = ? pints ( answer 1 barrel = 248 US pints)
which naturally leads to the question: How many barrels of beer do _you_ consume per year:

1pint/day*365 days in barrels

Hey, not bad!:cross:

Dirk

orfy said:
I need it all the time when on here. It helps me take old measurments and get the proper metric sizes. :D

I wish we'd get over ourselves and just bite the damn bullet and switch. My math in my head skills are not as good as they used to be and metric is so much easier on my brain matter.

When they tried (70's I believe?) the auto industry put up a huge stink on tools they'd need to buy (used to be a so-called mechanic). Now with the influx of import cars here that didn't serve well did it.

orfy said:
I need it all the time when on here. It helps me take old measurments and get the proper metric sizes. :D

I hear you Orfy, I work in molecular diagnostics field and everything is metric and then I leave work and I hear inch here, pound there, foot over yonder, etc. Why is America the last hold out? Metric is so much easier.

Yeah I often Google # US ounce in g, and get results from Google calculator :) so simple! :) and yeah I find metric so much easier, although I will always be drinking my pint, nobody is going to go to the bar and ask for 568ml of beer. (UK pint measurement of course, we get more :D)

orfy said:
WOW,

I normaly get trashed when I diss US measurments.:D

I'd be all for a U.S. conversion to the metric system. It's really rather arrogant, and self defeating for us not to do so. Why complicate something that can be done so much easier?

Then again, I can't stand referring to distances in terms of kilometers! On the rare occasions I've travelled to Canada, it really befuddles me, even though it's not a hard thing to convert km to miles. Although, I'm sure it's something Americans would get used to relatively quickly.

one nice thing about old units is that you can divide things up and come up with even numbers. If you have a solution of 1 lb of sugar with 1 gallon of water, and you want to scale that down by 1/8, you get 2oz in 1pint. By 1/4, you get 4oz in 1 quart, etc. 1/16 and 1/2 give you nice quantities, too.

In metric that only works if you want to scale down by 1/10 (and maybe 1/2). Anything else gives you awkward amounts. 1 kg in 10 liters scaled down to 1/8 is 125g in 1.25 l, 1/4 is 250g in 2.5 l. I guess you could go 1/10 and 1/5 instead, but most often I want to scale things in halves, quarters, etc.

I'm not saying old is better, but I have come around to appreciating the old system for practical, in-your-head applications.

greg75 said:
Then again, I can't stand referring to distances in terms of kilometers! On the rare occasions I've travelled to Canada, it really befuddles me, even though it's not a hard thing to convert km to miles. Although, I'm sure it's something Americans would get used to relatively quickly.

There's a stretch of hwy in the US and I believe it's the only one where it's speed limit / distance signs are in metric. I-19 from Tucson to Mexico. It's about 60 miles or shall I say 96 km.

We still use miles in the UK and the beers in Pints.
One stupid things is that pre packed food has to be soldd in Metric units and displayed as such but for some reason loose stuff can and still is displayed sold in imperial units.

So at a supermarket a 250g pack of mushrooms is 79p but the loose mushrooms are £1.30 a pound. Makes it difficult to work out what is best value.

I don't think there is any good reason to hang onto Miles or Pounds (weight)

Hands of the Pound Sterling and my Pint of beer.

Back