Good tasting cider nutrients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i got yet another batch of cider, that's probably going to take 2+ weeks to finish...

anyone got ideas for good tasting things i can add to future batches to kinda hasten the finish time on them? i don't want to add artifical stuff, i can wait. but curious if maybe i could add some good flavor AND nutrients for the yeast.....

i got yet another batch of cider, that's probably going to take 2+ weeks to finish...

anyone got ideas for good tasting things i can add to future batches to kinda hasten the finish time on them? i don't want to add artifical stuff, i can wait. but curious if maybe i could add some good flavor AND nutrients for the yeast.....
Do you know what flavors your yeast prefers..

Do you know what flavors your yeast prefers..

i think my yeast can make their own ptotein and stuff, just need the B complex?
maybe some minerals?
i've tried looking up turbo yeast patents, no luck.....

What's your threshold for not artificial? Only things you would put in your mouth to eat, or would something like Fermaid O be acceptable?

my threshhold is, like if malted corriander or, dried chilli peppers thrown in, would get it to finish in a week.... maybe a gallon of OJ in the 10 gallon batch? or better pomegrannete juice?

I've not found a cinnamon I like, but I've been doing ginger ciders for years. I think the ginger also adds nutrients for a more fully fermented cider. I do between 2-4 oz ginger root in 5 gallons of apple juice.

Urine should help too. It is a natural product. In the tiny amount you would need, I'm not sure what flavor impact it might have -- sorry, I've never tried it.

strangley that gives me an idea.....i have some dried wood ear mushrooms, maybe try adding some mushroom broth to my next batch....with some cloves....

Urea, guys. Not urine, urea.

so being urine/urea...WTF ever, is anitrogen source..you're all saying apple juice lacks enough N2? so like if i get a few little canisters of nitrogen, and a little regulator, and ferment under 5psi of N2...it would speed up fermentation?

With the suggestion of DME, and me finding out it's $17 for 3 lbs...now i'm thinking maybe cooking up 5 lbs brown rice, in an excess of water, letting it cool down to 150f, adding some amylase to the pot....straining the liquid into the juice, and pitching gluco along with the pectinase....hmmm, not the natural i was hopeing for, but the flavor should be good?

edit: or now that i think about it, sparge with the juice....into the fermenter.....

Legumes are an excellent source of organic nitrogen. An alternative pea cider? Cane molasses to a lesser extent. Marmite/yeast extract for essential Bs.

With the suggestion of DME, and me finding out it's $17 for 3 lbs...now i'm thinking maybe cooking up 5 lbs brown rice, in an excess of water, letting it cool down to 150f, adding some amylase to the pot....straining the liquid into the juice, and pitching gluco along with the pectinase....hmmm, not the natural i was hopeing for, but the flavor should be good?

edit: or now that i think about it, sparge with the juice....into the fermenter.....
Bah, that sounds gross.

If you're into cheap stuff, boil some baking yeast, that's probably the cheapest source of nutrients that you can get. Otherwise +1 for fermaid o!

What about a piece of steak? It‘s natural and seems to push all the buttons for yeast nutritional requirements, including nitrogen, Bs and even zinc. I’ve heard rumours it was once common practice to hang a piece of meat in brewery fermenters, because it improved fermentation performance. Probably cheaper than servomyces, too.

why, oh why, everytime i try and start a serious thread, with jovial undertones.... ;)

well i broke down and added some DAP....might have got it done quicker then i think possible, it was allready at 1.000, and had a brix of 5.8...so like 8% ABV, but it should finish at .995 or so, and a bit over 9%....the dap might have got it done in an hour because it's stopped bubbling alltogether after an hour.....

have to check it....

I've been making hard cider for maybe 20+ years, mostly using fresh juice from local orchards and then the last decade or so, pressing my own juice, and I never add any yeast nutrients. The only time I had an issue is when I tried Nottingham beer yeast, but other than that, I've never had to add much of anything. Cider wants to make itself, you don't have to add any yeast if you are pressing your own fruit. If you are trying to add stuff to make your cider taste better, you're going in the wrong direction. Try finding the best apples (or juice) you can to make the best tasting cider. Note: cheapo big box store imported juice isn't going to cut it.

I've been making hard cider for maybe 20+ years, mostly using fresh juice from local orchards and then the last decade or so, pressing my own juice, and I never add any yeast nutrients. The only time I had an issue is when I tried Nottingham beer yeast, but other than that, I've never had to add much of anything. Cider wants to make itself, you don't have to add any yeast if you are pressing your own fruit. If you are trying to add stuff to make your cider taste better, you're going in the wrong direction. Try finding the best apples (or juice) you can to make the best tasting cider. Note: cheapo big box store imported juice isn't going to cut it.

if you ever do a 9% ABV batch, about how long to hit terminal gravity for you? maybe i should try a cider yeast? i've been using Apex's Sandiego ale yeast, i like how cheap it is, and it finishes REALLY dry.....

Back