Good summer extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyoesq

Reaction score
Summer is coming. Possibly. Maybe.
Any good summer extract kits you can recommend to try out? I want to brew now, so it is ready if this snow ever leaves.

I did a honey blonde a few months ago that every one like, I think I will be doing a couple batches real soon.

6 lb Liquid Malt Extract - Pilsen
Steeping
1 lb American - Pilsner grain steeped (have since learned may do next to nothing but I will add it again to keep the recipe same)
0.25 lb Canadian - Honey Malt

1 OZ of Willamette 60 min
1 OZ of Crystal at 15 min

I'm in. thanks. looks like the perfect throwing-six-million-baseballs-to-the-goofuses-boys-while-throwing-out-my-shoulder-for-their-batting-practice brew.

I'm in. thanks. looks like the perfect throwing-six-million-baseballs-to-the-goofuses-boys-while-throwing-out-my-shoulder-for-their-batting-practice brew.

Just to update the recipe. It is 5 gallon batch, 2 gallon boil, about 1/3 LME at boil, rest at flame out, and I used WLP001 yeast.

If you're looking for kits I recommend the Kama Citra Session IPA and the T-Can and Bearcat's Wheaten Beatdown from Northern Brewer. Both are excellent summer brews!

Oh man.... A Hefeweizen for sure.... Nice citrusy hint.... Keg it and overcarb the hell out of it. When I was stationed in Germany, it was the bud light equivalent there.... Everyone drank that crap.

I just finished a 5 gal corny of that stuff in a week! BB kit, super cheap, and easy to make, finished out in 10 days, very forgiving beer

Oh man.... A Hefeweizen for sure.... Nice citrusy hint.... Keg it and overcarb the heck out of it. When I was stationed in Germany, it was the bud light equivalent there.... Everyone drank that crap.

I just finished a 5 gal corny of that stuff in a week! BB kit, super cheap, and easy to make, finished out in 10 days, very forgiving beer

X2 on Hefeweizen. Carb it high, I use 5oz priming sugar, and its just about right. Drink it fresh, and remember its NOT meant to be ice cold, about 45 is perfect for full flavor enjoyment!

Look up "simple hefeweizen" in the recipe section. I use Wyeast 3068 when possible, It takes off like a rocket - no starter needed! There is no better beer for summer, IMO. I have one going now, hope to bottle this weekend, and I'll likely have another brewing in May/June to re-stock.

X2 on Hefeweizen. Carb it high, I use 5oz priming sugar, and its just about right. Drink it fresh, and remember its NOT meant to be ice cold, about 45 is perfect for full flavor enjoyment!

Look up "simple hefeweizen" in the recipe section. I use Wyeast 3068 when possible, It takes off like a rocket - no starter needed! There is no better beer for summer, IMO. I have one going now, hope to bottle this weekend, and I'll likely have another brewing in May/June to re-stock.

Whoa!!!!!! May or june to restock????? Quit sipping it and start drinking it.....my wife is German, and she drops that stuff down her neck like apple juice!

I have ingredients for a super basic hefeweizen at home. Just trying to time it right with the other stuff i have in kegs.

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6 lbs 9.6 oz Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 1 100.0 %
1.00 oz Tettnang (Tettnang Tettnager) [4.00 %] - Hop 2 11.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) [35. Yeast 3 -

Where can I get that ingredient list from? BB has the same, but in a kit. I priced your shopping list on northernbrewer.com and wound up well over $40 before shipping.

The BB kit I only give $32 for on eBay from southernhomebrewer.com

If I can go cheaper than that, then help me out!

Where can I get that ingredient list from? BB has the same, but in a kit. I priced your shopping list on northernbrewer.com and wound up well over $40 before shipping.

The BB kit I only give $32 for on eBay from southernhomebrewer.com

If I can go cheaper than that, then help me out!

Im not sure if you are referring to my recipe but I grabbed my last batch of ingredients at a LHBS for around $30
www.morebeer.com = $26 before shipping

I did a honey blonde a few months ago that every one like, I think I will be doing a couple batches real soon.

Steeping

1 lb American - Pilsner grain steeped (have since learned may do next to nothing but I will add it again to keep the recipe same)

How long was the ferment? It sounds like it should be ready for the keg in about 10 days.

Steeping

How long did you let this ferment. It sounds like it should be for 10 days or so.

Sailingeric, how long was the ferment time on this before kegging it?

Sorry for the duplicates, iPad was not updating

Sailingeric, how long was the ferment time on this before kegging it?

Sorry for the duplicates, iPad was not updating

Sorry for the delay. I usually let me ferment for two weeks and then bottle condition for a couple more weeks. You could possibly squeeze it down to 10 days but brewing and bottling works out better for me on the weekends.

Made Northern Brewer's Kolsch extract kit last May and thought it was a great summer beer.

I love a good kolsch, and my NB kit was delivered on Friday

Latest posts

Back