Good substitution for Fuggles in an English IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
Brewing Jamil's English IPA, which calls for these hops

Challenger 8%, 1.43 oz, 60 min
Fuggles 5%, 1.50 oz, 10 min
Kent Goldings 5%, 1.50 oz, 0 min

I can't get the Fuggles. What would be a good substitution?

Thanks

Thanks! Turns out that AHS did have it...needed to search for it by item number, not by "fuggles".

It's actually Fuggle, not Fuggles.
One of us should probably tell Jamil Zainasheff.
20211111_124102.jpg

I sub Northern Brewer for fuggles a lot. It has parents of EKG and Brewers gold - has a good woody note to it.

Not really… one quirk (and I believe it’s the same with Brewfather), is when I make any adjustments to my equipment profile, I have to refresh the recipe by changing the profile to another option, then back again to trigger the adjustments. Perhaps this is similar to your scaling issues. I never used the cloud service and never print so can’t speak to those items. Beersmith was fine for me but I’m liking Brewfather better. The seemingly less detailed screen appearance provides all the information I need in an easier to view format.
One of us should probably tell Jamil Zainasheff.
View attachment 748635

LOL. Just because Jamil wrote it doesn't make it so. Bobby is right... it is Fuggle.

Depends from where you look at it or use it but it might need an apostrophe if possessive.

I use them with Morgans Caramalt & LDME in a beer and named it "Get Fuggled"

Now wondering if I'm in trouble with the etymology society

Last edited:
The correct way to spell fuggle is East Kent Golding.

I do not like fuggle hops and will always substitute them every time. I know I am not alone in this opinion.

Fuggle is reported to be a sub variety of goldings.
It's actually Fuggle, not Fuggles.
Bobby M is correct except originally it was advertised as "Fuggle's Goldings".
Here's the source of my information:
https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/blo...-and-golding-hops-changed-modern-beer-foreverSo I've heard many people complain that they don't like Fuggle(s). But if you read the above article, you'll find that "EKG" isn't an actual variety, what you get could be any one of a number of different sub-varieties that have developed over the years. Could the same be true with Fuggle? I've heard that the Fuggle available in the UK is very good. Perhaps here in the US we get the lower grade pellets?

Fuggle is reported to be a sub variety of goldings.

Bobby M is correct except originally it was advertised as "Fuggle's Goldings".

That's two completely separate things. Yes it seems that Fuggles and Goldings are quite closely related - mother/daughter or grandmother/daughter.

But that's not why it was originally marketed as Fuggle's Golding. Although Golding referred to a specific variety, it had become a generic mark of "this is a good one" in the same way that Californian and Australian wineries would advertise their sparkling wine as "Champagne". See also Styrian/Savinjski Goldings - which are actually a Fuggle clone.

But if you read the above article, you'll find that "EKG" isn't an actual variety, what you get could be any one of a number of different sub-varieties that have developed over the years. Could the same be true with Fuggle? I've heard that the Fuggle available in the UK is very good. Perhaps here in the US we get the lower grade pellets?

Even so - only the most experienced brewers in Kent would be able to tell the difference between different Golding clones - the differences are more in harvest time. And although there are identified Fuggle clones, it's even less of a thing for Fuggle than Goldings. Remember we're talking about a pretty small population nowadays, there's only a dozen or so farms growing it these days, and their processing facilities...certainly vary in quality. So there's variability in what comes to market, and domestic breweries will always get first choice, in the same way that UK homebrewers are last in line for the best Citra and Mosaic. But you also have to remember is that the UK has weather, not climate - there are big differences between vintages. For instance 2017 was a really cloudy year in which everything, even Goldings, came out kinda earthy, whereas a heatwave in 2018 brought out the citrus in many varieties and made Fuggle more like Savinjski.

Martyn Cornell has written extensively on the history of the variety :
https://zythophile.co.uk/tag/fuggles/
This is a nice piece in praise of it as a hop :
https://www.beer52.com/ferment/article/771/a-hop-called-fuggleHenry Kirk, Head Brewer of Dark Star Brewery...asserts that when they are at their best, they are a thing of beauty. “Minty in colour and aroma alongside sap, green tea and woody notes. Glorious.”...

Steve Dunkley of Beer Nouveau and Temperance Street Brewery in Mancheste...used Fuggles in the recreation of a recipe from the 1800s. “The sheer volumes of hops that they used meant that the essential oils that carry the aromas couldn’t escape in steam during the boil, they recirculated back into the bulk of the wort and isomerised there” he explains. “Beers we’ve brewed like this have smelled as fresh 18 months later as they did when we first brewed them.” He goes on to explain that Fuggle is a great hop for understanding the impact of this effect. “When you use it in small quantities, like it has been done recently, it’s pretty average. But when you use a lot of it, you get wonderful mango/stone fruit aromas and flavours.” Steve tells me that the difference is so pronounced that the profile has confused many who have taken a sip. “Drinkers trying it without knowing the hops have guessed that it’s an NZ hop.”

Latest posts

Back