Good style for blackberries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdxkale

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Since my blackberries are about a month away from ripening, I was trying to decide what brew they should go in this year. Last year I dropped 5lbs of them in an American Hefeweizen that turned out really well, but I want to branch out. This is only my second harvest that I've been brewing, so I wanted to try something different.

The variety of blackberries that I have tend on the bitter, rather than sweet, so I was thinking of maybe using them in a stout, but I figured I'd see what you guys had to say. I've mainly brewed ales and hefs, so a new style might be kind of fun to take a crack at, unfortunately, I do not have the capability to lager, yet.

Anyway, any ideas for a good brew to drop 5 to 10 lbs of fresh blackberries in would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!:mug:

Blackberries will probably get overwhelmed by a stout, plus you won't be able to see any color contributions they make, which IMO is a lot of the time part of the reason to use real fruit. I'd say stick with hefes or blondes, as they lend themselves really well to fruit. I've also had some lighter browns with fruit that were pretty good as well.

Latest posts

Back