Good recipes for showcasing hop varieties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanecb

Reaction score
I'm looking to get more into experimenting with newer hop varieties and really getting a sense for their aroma, flavor, etc. I have some particular favorites but there's a huge variety of great hops these days I'm probably missing out on.

My goal is to have a standardized recipe (in the pale ale or IPA range) that I can use to experiment with different hop varieties, mainly single-hop batches. Would love to hear about any standard recipes you guys have that you use for this purpose, and any hopping advice you might have (good AAU per addition, IBU goal, etc). Probably the simpler the grain bill the better, in this case, with a neutral Cal Ale style yeast? Really looking for a recipe that showcases the hops well in all aspects.

Thanks in advance!

Not an exact recipe, but as the spring/summer is coming (in the Northern hemisphere), it might be nice to brew some British/American SMASH golden ales with just Maris Otter or some other quality pale ale malt at OG 1.040-1.050. Maybe 35-40 IBUs and don't forget the late/whirlpool/dry hop additions to get an idea of the hop taste and aromas. You could use wlp001 or maybe wlp051 to get a bit less attenuation and more fruitiness. Even some British ale yeast strain with not so muted hop character to get more complex flavor profiles.

Not an exact recipe, but as the spring/summer is coming (in the Northern hemisphere), it might be nice to brew some British/American SMASH golden ales with just Maris Otter or some other quality pale ale malt at OG 1.040-1.050. Maybe 35-40 IBUs and don't forget the late/whirlpool/dry hop additions to get an idea of the hop taste and aromas. You could use wlp001 or maybe wlp051 to get a bit less attenuation and more fruitiness. Even some British ale yeast strain with not so muted hop character to get more complex flavor profiles.

That's more or less what I'm aiming for, I think. All pale malt (either Maris Otter, Pilsner, or even Golden Promise) with mid-range IBUs. I'll probably stick mostly to hop additions under 15min in the boil and dry hopping, like you mentioned also.

I would aim for something mostly base malt (2 row, pilsner, golden promise, maris otter, or a mix of 2 row and something else), then a bit of crystal 40 or 60 for color and a little malt, plus some carapils or wheat for body and head retention (that is a personal preference though - I love Belgian lace on a glass).

For IBUs, I would aim for 40-60, balanced against ABV and overall malt color (darker, higher ABV = more IBUs). I would use magnum at 60 for bittering at about half the IBU, then additions at 10, 5, flameout, and whirlpool, plus dry-hop. For yeast, Chico or US-05 is neutral and won't get in the way. I think a bit of crystal malt is important to give the hops something to work against, like salt in sweet desserts. I prefer Magnum for bittering because it is a clean bitter, and using a pricey showcase hop for bittering seems like a bit of a waste.

So for 5 gallons:
10# 2 row, 8oz Carapils or wheat malt, 8oz C40 or C60 (color preference), US-05, 1/2 oz Magnum at 60 minutes (20-30 IBU), then use your showcase hop for the late additions.

Last edited:
I would aim for something mostly base malt (2 row, pilsner, golden promise, maris otter, or a mix of 2 row and something else), then a bit of crystal 40 or 60 for color and a little malt, plus some carapils or wheat for body and head retention (that is a personal preference though - I love Belgian lace on a glass).

For IBUs, I would aim for 40-60, balanced against ABV and overall malt color (darker, higher ABV = more IBUs). I would use magnum at 60 for bittering at about half the IBU, then additions at 10, 5, flameout, and whirlpool, plus dry-hop. For yeast, Chico or US-05 is neutral and won't get in the way. I think a bit of crystal malt is important to give the hops something to work against, like salt in sweet desserts. I prefer Magnum for bittering because it is a clean bitter, and using a pricey showcase hop for bittering seems like a bit of a waste.

So for 5 gallons:
10# 2 row, 8oz Carapils or wheat malt, 8oz C40 or C60 (color preference), US-05, 1/2 oz Magnum at 60 minutes (20-30 IBU), then use your showcase hop for the late additions.

Definitely a solid plan right there. The more I think about it I think you're right that a little maltiness to play off the hops is a good idea, instead of going totally base malt.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back