Good price on some 10/3 wire

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerrepository

Reaction score
The prices I have seen have been like $50 for 25ft which seems pretty steep for bulk wire. Has anyone found a place that sells 10/3 wire rated for outdoor use?

define outdoor use.
security light on your house? buried in a trench inside conduit?
sheathed? bx?
then google it.
*sorry i had a bad day*.

its for an electric brewing setup so it just needs to be pretty tough. The Electric Brewery recommends wire rated for outdoor use, so that is what I am working off of. I think water resistant is one of the suggestions as well.

Also, I wouldn't be asking on here if I found it on google, I just know others might have done this search and may have found a good deal and could help a fellow homebrewer out.

an example http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002G9TNDS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
What you are looking for is s.o. cord but there are different types of cord that is for different types of applications it is all about your application and where it is going be installed at

What you are looking for is s.o. cord but there are different types of cord that is for different types of applications it is all about your application and where it is going be installed at

its going to be used to connect my heating elements in my kettles to my control box, which will all reside in my garage, if that helps at all.

Just out of curiosity, what does S.O. stand for?

The recommendation given from theelectricbrewery.com

We use a 10 gauge wire with 3 separate conductors, called "10/3" wire: Two conductor carry each of the 120 VAC "hot" lines to produce the 240 VAC the element uses, while the third will is used as a ground. It's important that everything be grounded for safety reasons: If one of the hot lines was to be become disconnected and touch a kettle, having the kettle grounded ensures that the current will pass to ground immediately and trip your circuit breaker or fuse instead of passing somewhere else (like through the person brewing!).

Look for cables that oil/water resistant, with a rubber coating, and rated for outdoor use. Use whatever length is needed between the kettle and the control panel. 10 feet is fairly common but don't be afraid to use a bit more just in case. The last thing you want is a cable that's too short.

I have no idea what s.o. stands for it is the trade name for the wire but it comes in 10/3 or 8/3 and so on I have used it working in french fry factories or in just installing a temp service for people s.o. will take care of your needs in your brew space you just have to make sure you get water tight connections.

home depot around me sells 10/3 UF (wet,damp locations and can bury it) by the foot. May save you some money if you do not need 50 or 100 ft rolls. they also have the cheaper regular 10/3 nm (orange colored) for indoor use.

Go to Menards. Find the S.O. cable in 25 or 50' packages. NOT the RV cables, but they hide it near the automotive section (At least at my Menards)

It's < $1/foot.

And the type doesn't matter. As long as it's rubber jacketed you'll be OK. Unless you plan to submerge it in boiling oil or acid, that is...

I was in Home depot a while back looking for wire for my kezzer. It seems atleast the ones around here are discontinuing alot of there cable by the foot and had a steal on 10/3 in a heavy rubber jacket. I paid around $.30 a foot for it on clearance. It wasnt in the wire rack they had it stashed all the way in the back of the store.

Back