Good price on 10G rubbermaid coolers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dantodd

Reaction score
I was just at my local Smart & Final and they had 10G rubbermaid beverage coolers for $48.

Now I need to make a trip to Home Depot for the rest of the parts.

photogscott said:
in CA, Home Depot sells them for $39, when they have them
I"ve checked one HD since I've been here and they didn't have them. I have a couple others I can try..hopefully someone has them.

Dan

jaybird said:
why not just build one from a KEG and insulate? it then if you want to do BIG beers you can.
JJ
Much cheaper to just buy a big cooler. You can get them in the size you need, perhaps even bigger than a keg, if you wanted. Plus the cooler is going to do a FAR better job at maintaing your mash temp than a keg (even an insulated one).

However, a keg can be directed-fired on a burner to raise temps for a multi-step mash. Although, you can do the same with a cooler-based mash tun if you use steam injection. It is just personal preference.

Well I went into Home Depot today and low and behold they had like 50 10 gal coolers. I picked one up...with that and my Keggle I am getting from Jaybird, I will be unrestricted in size and volume of my beers...I'm very happy.

OH yeah 39 bucks!
Dan

I still have my Smart & Final receipt so it looks like a quick return and another trip to HomeDepot for a cooler and some parts!

If you are batch sparging, I got a rectangular 12 gallon at Wally World for $17 with tax I think it was. Everyday price I think.

I have considered a rectangular cooler. But, I decided to get one of these for a few reasons. First, it leaves open the possibility of fly sparging in the future; second, it is designed for liquids so I know that it is safe for this application; finally, the insides are much more durable than most rectangular coolers, which I've had crack over time in other applications. I know that I can buy 3-4 rectangular coolers for the same price but that just adds aggrivation over time and these things are not very recyclable.

Latest posts

Back