Good news/bad news brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkevinb

Reaction score
The good news is that my new pond pump to recirculate ice water for chilling kicked butt. I cooled from boiling to 100 F with tap water in about 10 minutes, then from 100 to 65 recirculating through a Homer bucket of ice water in another 10. It saved a whole bunch of time and water, and the pump and fittings were cheaper than the cost of the copper tubing to make a pre-chiller.

The bad news is that I missed my OG so my special bitter is now an ordinary bitter. The good news is I can now say I've brewed an ordinary bitter.

Nothing wrong with an ordinary bitter. Beers in that gravity range are great when you want a beer but you don't really want a buzz. I happen to have an OB in the fridge right now.

Nothing wrong with an ordinary bitter. Beers in that gravity range are great when you want a beer but you don't really want a buzz. I happen to have an OB in the fridge right now.

Oddly enough, my original original intention was an ordinary bitter. But when I was putting the recipe together I thought I'd just bump it up to around 4.2% ABV. But my efficiency tanked for some reason today, so I wound up back where I started. Must have been fate. The hydro sample tasted good. We'll see how it ferments, but I have great faith in S-04.

Oddly enough, my original original intention was an ordinary bitter. But when I was putting the recipe together I thought I'd just bump it up to around 4.2% ABV. But my efficiency tanked for some reason today, so I wound up back where I started. Must have been fate. The hydro sample tasted good. We'll see how it ferments, but I have great faith in S-04.

I have been on an ordinary bitter and dark mild kick lately. My efficiency drops with the small beers, so I bump down my efficiency in Beersmith when I formulate the recipe to compensate. I love small beers.

Sorry to hear about the OG miss, but curious what pump you purchased for your ice bucket recirculation. Thinking of doing the same.

I use a pump kinda like that too and it does a great job. 10 gallons of water and 10 pounds of ice will get my wort chilled down in about 15mins. Good to know I'm not the only one

Latest posts

Back