Good Metal Drill Bits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atl300zx

Reaction score
I need to drill a couple holes in my windscreen to mount my burner and I am having a heck of a time with my POS Harbor Freight Titanium Nitride Coated Drill Bits and my Dewalt 14.4v drill.

It worked on one hole with heavy pressure, low speed using household oil for at least 10 min and I didnt break through. Knowing i will need to drill a total of 14 holes, I need to find a faster method. I'm thinking my crappy drill bits are to blame. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

From what I have experienced, starting a hole is hard no matter what kind of bit you have. You'll need a LOT of pressure (I'm assuming it's SS? maybe Al?). Once you get it started, I highly reccomend going to a step-bit. I have this Irwin and it works like magic. It's expensive but worth it, you will have it a long time. I used it on 1/4" SS and it takes time but eats through it even on a battery drill like I have.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on cobalt bits. They drilled through my stainless kegs like nothing.

you should be fine with normal bits then. do you have a grinder and know how to put an edge on your bit? use small diameter and step up to your final size. Use a corded drill if possible.

use real cutting oil. motor oil and "household' oil is designed to lubricate moving parts so they don't touch. cutting oil is designed to make metal rub together so the drill bit can bite into what it's trying to cut..................

ill stop by HD this weekend and give it a shot with the cobalts and cutting oil.

Use a center drill first.

Use proper cutting oil, tapping fluid works in a pinch.

Keep the pressure just right, by this I mean let the tool do the work.

If you do not have a spiral shaped chip coming from each flute, your drill is not sharpened properly.

You may have burnt up the tip and need to resharpen it, or you have work-hardened your part.

if you dont have proper cutting fluid, skip the motor oil or WD40 and just use a stream of plain old water. its more important to keep the bit cool then it is to lubricate it. a hot bit will wear out before you cut one hole. get a nice new, sharp drill bit and keep the work surface cool and you shouldnt have a problem. a non-battery powered drill may help too.

Use a center drill like VonMessa said to spot the hole.
Next do what dfess1 says and start with a small diameter bit, like a 1/8" and step up gradually to the final size.
Use a cutting fluid like Tap Magic. This stuff works.
Use medium pressure and medium speed on the drill, and quality drill bits. Stop being cheap and use good tools!

Today I had to drill several 3/8" holes in 1/4" 316 stainless plate by hand, and used a cordless drill, and used five different sizes of bits to step up to 3/8" without a problem.

I know these other guys mean well, but take it from someone that does this kind of stuff for a living.

Use a center drill like VonMessa said to spot the hole.
Next do what dfess1 says and start with a small diameter bit, like a 1/8" and step up gradually to the final size.
Use a cutting fluid like Tap Magic. This stuff works.
Use medium pressure and medium speed on the drill, and quality drill bits. Stop being cheap and use good tools!

Today I had to drill several 3/8" holes in 1/4" 316 stainless plate by hand, and used a cordless drill, and used five different sizes of bits to step up to 3/8" without a problem.

I know these other guys mean well, but take it from someone that does this kind of stuff for a living.

or someone who is building their own airplane :D

the right tools, as well as sharp tools, make a huge difference. Drill bits will loose an edge, you need to be able to put one back on.

I'm no machinist, but for mild steel I just use a 1/8" Ace hardware Carbon bit to start and then can step up size with any old bit from the tool box.

Use a center drill first.

Use proper cutting oil, tapping fluid works in a pinch.

Keep the pressure just right, by this I mean let the tool do the work.

If you do not have a spiral shaped chip coming from each flute, your drill is not sharpened properly.

You may have burnt up the tip and need to resharpen it, or you have work-hardened your part.

VonMessa, Have you been to theyard.com?
We have bought a lot of our tools from them.
They've got some good prices.

Back