Good heater for small fermentation chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadcactus

Reaction score
I've got a small 5 cu ft GE chest freezer I've turned into a fermentation chamber. It's all set up with temperature controlled cooling, but I need some gentle heating for the days when the temperature actually drops down below 60 F. I guess a simple lamp and ceramic heat bulb would be one route. Any other options?

The ceramic heating element is what I'm about to do in mine. I'm also going to install a small fan in the corner just to keep the air moving well.

You could also use a small space heater, but most would be overkill, IMO. btw, which temp controller are you using?

I used a mug warmer, hot plate (7watts) to heat a 7.5 cubic foot freezer. It worked slowly but around ale temperatures it would be enough. I would want something with 30 to 500 watts or less and a fan. The spec you want to search for on the label of a heater is Watts

I use a small ceramic element space heater similar to this one:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-Ceramic-Utility-Heater/10553595

You can often pick these up for about $10-15. They are inherently safe as the heating element never gets hot enough to ignite anything. They are also quite efficient and have a built in fan. I have mine hooked up to a Johnson analog temperature controller. Works just fine for me.

Go to a gun dealer or safe store, and buy a 40 watt safe heater... They use them for dehumidifying safes... They're very small and come with a mounting bracket.. You can use more than one if you need to, and the benefit of that, is that you can mount them on opposite sides of the enclosure...

someone in my homebrew club has recommended to me to use a strand of christmas lights....just put in however much of the strand you need to add the heat. he says it works like a charm along with the temp controller to maintain a good temp.

someone in my homebrew club has recommended to me to use a strand of christmas lights....just put in however much of the strand you need to add the heat. he says it works like a charm along with the temp controller to maintain a good temp.

Sweet...now we have an excuse to not put the Christmas decorations away.

keep in mind when light hits your beer, it slowly splits some of the particles and produces a by product that smells like skunk. This is obviously an off flavor you want to avoid.

If you have never drank a skunked beer, take a clear or green bottle of beer and leave it in the sun all day, cool it and drink it.:cross:

keep in mind when light hits your beer, it slowly splits some of the particles and produces a by product that smells like skunk. This is obviously an off flavor you want to avoid.

If you have never drank a skunked beer, take a clear or green bottle of beer and leave it in the sun all day, cool it and drink it.:cross:

An even easier way to taste what light does to beer, is to go buy a bottle of heinekin, and a can of heinekin.. Pour a glass of each and taste them side by side...

After tasting the canned/kegged version, I can't stomach the bottle version anymore... Huge difference...

It's UV rays that skunk beer, not light in general, so incandescent light bulbs are fine. They're also probably the cheapest and easiest way to heat a small fermentation chamber. Stay away from flourescent bulbs and sunlight though.

It's UV rays that skunk beer, not light in general, so incandescent light bulbs are fine. They're also probably the cheapest and easiest way to heat a small fermentation chamber. Stay away from flourescent bulbs and sunlight though.

yes, and the led xmas lights! haha, they won't give off any heat!

I used a mug warmer, hot plate (7watts) to heat a 7.5 cubic foot freezer. It worked slowly but around ale temperatures it would be enough. I would want something with 30 to 500 watts or less and a fan. The spec you want to search for on the label of a heater is Watts

What is the ambient temperature outside the freezer? Are you setting the fermenter on top of the hot plate or just leaving it in the corner of the freezer.

Well now you guys have me worried. I currently have a 75w bulb keeping my fermentation fridge at the proper temp. I thought it worked like a charm as i mounted it under the carboy because as we all knows, heat rises. It has been keeping the temperature of the beer stable. I have never actually caught the light on and have watched the temperature for an extended period of time and it doesn't drop a tenth of a degree C before I get bored and stop watching it so I don't think the light is turning on to often.

Do you think this will be enough light to "skunk" my beer?

Do you think this will be enough light to "skunk" my beer?

As I mentioned above, it's UV rays that skunk beer, not light in general. Incandescent light bulbs produce almost no UV rays, and shouldn't harm your beer at all.

I was thinking about making a snall fermentation chamber out of foam. What is yours made of? I'm not sure my idea would hold up to a blow drier.

Mine is actually a full size fridge but needs a little heat in the winter, even in Arizona. I don't see why a hair dryer wouldn't work for you in a ferm chamber made of foam. I set it on low heat and have it plugged into a RANCO temp controller.

As a couple of others have said, I just use a 60w incandescent light bulb inside my chamber. I'm using a full size fridge as a fermentation chamber, that cools through the use of a Johnsons controller. However, even in Florida, we've been getting enough cold weather that I needed to warm it up. I just leave the light bulb on all the time inside the fridge, and then the temp controller switches on the fridge to cool things down when they start to warm up. It works perfectly, and was free.

Wow these are a lot of great ideas! I am just beginning to plan my ferm chamber (foam) and I would be interested to hear of the most power-efficient way might be. What application uses the fewest watts? Please post your wattages.

Also can anyone tell me more about the type of incandescent bulb people are using? I keep hearing the term ceramic bulb? Would like to learn more. Thanks brew crew!

The heating pad I use is 50 watts and I plug it into a Johnson A419 controller. I'd say that this would give you more heat than a light bulb for the amount of energy used.

Another good option is to go on Ebay and find a used waterbed heater. They usually come with a thermostat. You may be able to get away with not buying a temp controller for ale temps.

I ran some tests a few weeks ago. In my little wine fridge, a 60w incandescent bulb took the temp of the space from around 40 degrees to about 87 degrees in a couple of hours.

That was with nothing inside, but I would think that kind of heating power should be able to easily keep temps stable.

Latest posts

Back