Good grain mill for $100?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
I want to buy a grain mill but keep te price reasonable enough to make it seem reasonable to my wife.

Any grain mills worth buying for $100 or LESS?!

Or am I gonna hit a dead end and have to explain to my wife I need a $130 grain mill.

I don't know why but $99 goes over a lot smoother then $130.

There's gotta be a good grain mill for less then $100!

I don't know of a grain mill under $100, except coronas. I do know that from now on, every time I see a grain mill discussion, I will simply say...Rebel Brewer Grain Mill.

The Rebel Mill will outlive me.

outside92129 said:
The malt mill is $110, but that does bust your $99 limit. You could phrase it as two easy payments of $55! Plus S&H.

I like that! I'll check it out thanks

40watt said:
I don't know of a grain mill under $100, except coronas. I do know that from now on, every time I see a grain mill discussion, I will simply say...Rebel Brewer Grain Mill.

The Rebel Mill will outlive me.

I with you, but my wife doesn't understand the importance of good homebrewing gear

Revvy said:
Call Adventures in Homebrewing and see if they are going to re-stock the "cereal killer grain mill." It was out the door for 99 bucks up til not too long ago.

http://www.homebrewing.org/Cereal-Killer-Grain-Mill_p_2310.html

For a lot less you can also do a Corona type mill. Lot of folks on here use it, as does CHarlie Papazian. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station-90849/?highlight=ugly

FYI I emailed AIH. THEY SAID IT WOULD BE 2 months wait. Which isn't too bad for me. It gives me time to get some more money. I was able to sell some stuff and get $90 in my PayPal account.

I use a corona type mill. It was purchased for less than $25 delivered from "Discount Tommy" on eBay. I was able to motorize it for less than a dollar, because I already had a 1/2" electric drill and the adapter hardware sitting around. I have used it for three and a half years, and have been very pleased with the results.

Here is my installation in a plastic bucket, which eliminates any mess:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station-90849/index99.html#post3974135

Maybe she will the second time you buy a grain mill.

This

Plus, if you decide to get out of the hobby, a grain mill will sell for nearly the price you bought it. My advice would be to save until you can afford a proper mill and only purchase it once. Ask me how I know.:(

Just get a barley crusher, maltmill or rebel mill and call it a day. It will last as long as you need it to. Just make sure to buy SWMBO something really nice the day before you order it. "A teaspoon of sugar makes the medicine go down" if you follow...

HawksBrewer said:
Just get a barley crusher, maltmill or rebel mill and call it a day. It will last as long as you need it to. Just make sure to buy SWMBO something really nice the day before you order it. "A teaspoon of sugar makes the medicine go down" if you follow...

I think I agree with you. I'll just have to wait. I don't want to take a chance with something decent. I want to get something great! Most likely I'll get the barley crusher. Whenever it's available, that is. There's a waiting list for all grain mills

I think I agree with you. I'll just have to wait. I don't want to take a chance with something decent. I want to get something great! Most likely I'll get the barley crusher. Whenever it's available, that is. There's a waiting list for all grain mills

People's experiences differ with the bc. I sent mine back to get it refurbished, then sold it. It wasn't enough mil for my needs.

Barley Crusher with a 7 lb hopper is $109 through beersmith, cheapest I've seen it. Don't think that includes shipping. Close to $100

$126.89 shipped to where I live. That's a good price though. It's about $10 cheaper then from the actual barley crusher website. I need $36 more dollars!

Of course this comment is worthless without knowing what your needs are.

Really, my needs are for a mill with a slave roller that will work when I use it. Even after I put 1k # of grain through it. Better?

Kmcogar said:
$126.89 shipped to where I live. That's a good price though. It's about $10 cheaper then from the actual barley crusher website. I need $36 more dollars!

Went looking for this - may not be the best at the www but for beersmith I only came up with the software site. Any direction here would be appreciated.

Sounds like the BC is the way to go!

It breaks= they fix it.........for life.

It's a great deal.

From brewmasterswarehouse.com

Crankandstein 2S: $78.00
Base and hopper: $30.00
10% discount using BNARMY: -$10.80
shipping: $6.99

total: $104.19

This does NOT include a handle but the drive shaft is set up so you can use a drill. So you'll need one of those two things which of course would drive the price up.

I just got one and used it yesterday for the first time. Excellent crush, even overshot my target OG by a few points.

hogwash said:

This does NOT include a handle but the drive shaft is set up so you can use a drill. So you'll need one of those two things which of course would drive the price up.

I just got one and used it yesterday for the first time. Excellent crush, even overshot my target OG by a few points.

Thanks!

So, I have a drill. That's all I need? No attachments?

Crankandstein's are also on back order. I ordered the exact same thing hogwash posted about 5 weeks ago. BMW said they were back ordered and should ship in 7-10 days. After 3 weeks of waiting I cancelled the order. BMW said they found out CS was moving to a new facility and stopped production for a while. I ended up getting a MM2.

hogwash said:

How long did it take you to receive yours?

How long did it take you to receive yours?

It did take a few weeks but they must have them in stock now. The guys at BMW told me C&S is in their new facility and up & running. You might call them before you order just to make sure they have them in stock and/or see how quickly they can get them. In my opinion, for the price, it was worth the wait. You can't find the 2S anywhere for $78, even Crankandstein sells them for $84 on their website. Add in the 10% discount and that sealed the deal for me.

As for a drill, you want something on which you can set the speed. C&S recommends 200rpm, and it will need to be powerful enough to turn it. I think most folks recommend 18v. I used my old Black & Decker that is probably older than me (I'm 39) and doesn't have speed settings. It worked fine though there was an odor of ozone so I will probably get myself something a little more powerful so I don't burn out the motor. I was afraid without speed control that I would shred the grains and end up with a stuck mash or something but I had no problems.

Well I decided against jww's advice and went ahead and ordered a crankandstein 2s. I couldn't say no to $77 including shipping. I ordered it on Friday. The order status was pending until today. It says it's been shipped but I did not get a confirmation email or tracking number for the package though.

I also sent a email to crankandstein and received a very prompt response. He said it would take 2-3 weeks to receive a mill directly from him.

I hope brewmasterswarehouse had them in stock!

I would think it's shipped if your order status says so. Check your spam folder, might have ended up in there.

FWIW, they seem to be great guys and I don't think they would change the status to shipped unless it was true. And they're in Georgia which means faster shipping for us east coasters.

Your totally right. I checked my spam folder. IT SAYS IT WILL BE HERE TOMORROW! perfect timing too because I plan on brewing this weekend.

Cool. They're my go to store now, much faster shipping than any of the others. The brew builder is a pretty cool thing too.

Happy brewing!

Latest posts

Back