Good friends, I need some help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayfro21

Reaction score
Hello,

So I brewed an oatmeal stout 1 week ago, and it was bubbling furiously for around 24 hours, and then stopped. Pitched a little warm, around 80 F, and it started bubbling within 3 hours. I was going to transfer to secondary today, but checked FG and it was 1.026ish, started spot on at 1.060. What should I do?

A few particulars, I got the recipe from LHBS and I can't really read what he wrote down, but I'll give it a go

6 lbs amber malt extract
1.5 lbs English 2-row
.5 lbs Caraffa?
.25 lbs Roasted Barley
.25 lbs Chacole?
1 lb oats

1 oz cluster - 60 min
1 oz EK gold - 30 min
1 tab Whirfloc @ 30 min
Windsor dry yeast

So, I am wondering if the Windosr just flocculated too early and I should repitch, or something else? My temp after maybe 8 hours after pitching stayed very stable at around 66 F, but is now a tad lower at around 60 F. Oh yeah, recipe says it should be an FG of around a 1.016. PM procedure...thanks!

Jason
Recipe called for gypsum, but I did not use it.

My Winter Warmer, which was the NB Breakfast Stout to start with was a slow starter, it did have activity right out the kettle, but it slowed and ran for about a week at 64 degrees. I would Scrooge and wait another week.

It tastes good, a little bitter but I think thats the reason it needs to sit in bottle for 4-6 weeks. I looked up windsor yeast, and it says it tends to leave a relatively high final gravity. Right now I'm only at 57% attenuation, so its still a little sweet. Also, temps have been creeping lower, and I am not around 58-60F with the fermometer stuck on the side. I was planning on leaving it 2 weeks in primary, but thought to move it and give it more time on the secondary, but if its still going to ferment down than I'll leave it. I know Ive heard not to use the airlock bubble activity as a surrogate for fermentation activity, but it stopped and visible bubbling after 24 hours, 36 max.

Note to self: Don't sanitize carboy and all equipment until FG is read and satisfactory!

Jason

If the yeast cake looks pretty compacted, don't be afraid to give that baby a swirl around a few times to get the yeast back into suspension. And yes, give it at least another week.

EvilTOJ said:
If the yeast cake looks pretty compacted, don't be afraid to give that baby a swirl around a few times to get the yeast back into suspension. And yes, give it at least another week.

What he said.

Latest posts

Back