Good book for beginners?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ty520

Reaction score
Can any of you recommend a good book on distillation for beginners?

I read The Joy of Home Distilling and thought it was pretty decent. There's also that other forum that discusses it in depth. I found a couple of YouTube channels really informative too, Still It is very good also Barley and Hops Brewing, who I have never heard talk about hops but he sure knows his way around a still.

I read The Joy of Home Distilling and thought it was pretty decent. There's also that other forum that discusses it in depth. I found a couple of YouTube channels really informative too, Still It is very good also Barley and Hops Brewing, who I have never heard talk about hops but he sure knows his way around a still.

OK thanks - looking for something that would walk me through the process step by step, explaining each

I can't recommend George from Barley and Hops on YouTube enough. The way he does videos makes me feel like he's a college professor for his day job and by night he explains the process of distilling for YouTube. I found him through his video on how to setup PIDs but I ended up watching most of his videos.

Homedistiller.org, and read until your eyes bleed.

George has some good videos, but some say that he gives some poor information. I'm not a big video watcher, so can't say. I do like Jesse's videos from Chasing the Craft, and watch more of those than anything else distilling related.

K

Homedistiller.org, and read until your eyes bleed.

George has some good videos, but some say that he gives some poor information. I'm not a big video watcher, so can't say. I do like Jesse's videos from Chasing the Craft, and watch more of those than anything else distilling related.

K

Yes, I've become a big fan of Jesse's channel - love his goofy chuckle/laugh

I actually found his stuff doing research for a mead, but became hooked and he eventually inspired me to try distilling.

TY520 - I’m a long time brewer just getting to distilled spirits. Was also looking for good beginners book and started with the complete joy of home distilling. For me it’s a good book to have overall, but if you’ve done much brewing or winemaking then there’s a few sections you don’t need - repetitive for you. Still like the book and glad to have it in library.

Youtube and craft websites have good info as others have said. If you want to do fractional distillation for vodka and gin (I have a Turbo 500 condenser) then Richard from Love Brewing has a good series on Youtube as well.

KBW.

My kids like this one.

6e0a4449f9615aee9f1db29cb75a8048.jpg

I have a list of go-to books that I believe are some of the best for any brewer and a must-have for any Brewers Library.

The Joy of Home Brewing: Charlie Papazian ISBN: 978-0-06-053105-8
The Home Brewers Companion: Charlie Papazian ISBN: 0-0380-77287-6
The home Brewers Handbook: Matthew Schaefer ISBN:987-1-62914-673-7
Home Brewers Answer Book: Ashton Lewis ISBN: 978-1-58017-675-0
The Brewers Companion: Handy Mosher H.B. ISBN: 0-9640410-0-6
Clone Brews ( 200 recipes for Commercial Beers: Tess and Mark Szamatulski ISBN: 978-0-60342-539-1
The Connoisseur's Guide to Beer: James D. Robertson ( I have the 4th edition) ISBN: 0-915463-05-9

These books are by far what have assisted me over the years in my brewing and teaching. I love the Brewers companion's worksheets the best and many of its charts. Sadly I do not think you can find the wheel of beer or the Hop go round any longer.

I have a list of go-to books that I believe are some of the best for any brewer and a must-have for any Brewers Library.

The Joy of Home Brewing: Charlie Papazian ISBN: 978-0-06-053105-8
The Home Brewers Companion: Charlie Papazian ISBN: 0-0380-77287-6
The home Brewers Handbook: Matthew Schaefer ISBN:987-1-62914-673-7
Home Brewers Answer Book: Ashton Lewis ISBN: 978-1-58017-675-0
The Brewers Companion: Handy Mosher H.B. ISBN: 0-9640410-0-6
Clone Brews ( 200 recipes for Commercial Beers: Tess and Mark Szamatulski ISBN: 978-0-60342-539-1
The Connoisseur's Guide to Beer: James D. Robertson ( I have the 4th edition) ISBN: 0-915463-05-9

These books are by far what have assisted me over the years in my brewing and teaching. I love the Brewers companion's worksheets the best and many of its charts. Sadly I do not think you can find the wheel of beer or the Hop go round any longer.
I think the OP's question was not so much about brewing but about the process of taking a wine or beer and distilling it to remove the water. None of the titles you suggest touch on distillation.

Back